What's new

Scratches on the camera lens!

Tazz

Reaction score
Hello
I just recently got my Iphone 4 and have been using it for about 5 days.
The back (main) camera lens is full of tiny scratches which reflects in light and are pretty visible, while on rest of the phone, there is not even the smallest sight of any scratches, just perfection ;)
Bad quality? How can it be? o_O
Anyone else in the same situation?

Ive heard from some other people about the same problem. Its because the lens on the camera sticks out just barely more than the rest of the phone. I assume you dont have a case?

the lens on the camera sticks out just barely more than the rest of the phone

That's why I left the factory protective plastic on the back of the phone untill I got a bumper for it. It' another stupid design flaw, remember the antenna? The phone looks too nice to be in a case or bumper, just to protect the lens and to keep your hands off the antenna.

After reading this thread today (I have the same problem) I found a site that sells a replacement cover. It was only $5 (ish) including shipping.

(I was unable to post a URL because I am a new member with 0 posts. While I understand the need to curtail spam it's frustrating when I just want to help :)

dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.46576

It looks very easy to do yourself. I heard it was easy to take off the back of the iPhone4 so I tried it before ordering. It's so simple. Search in youtube for a video to help you. Short version is remove the 2 screws at the bottom, slide the cover up slightly (1/4 inch?) and it pops right off. Easy! Next you have to pop out the lens cover from the back glass. This proved to be much more difficult as it's glue in there. Be careful. I just kept working my fingernail around the lens cover on the inside of the back of the phone. Eventually it came out fairly easily, I just had to work at it. Then I put it all back together & am awaiting my replacement lens cover to swap in.

I heard it was easy to take off the back of the iPhone4 so I tried it before ordering. It's so simple. Search in youtube for a video to help you.

Ive heard from some other people about the same problem. Its because the lens on the camera sticks out just barely more than the rest of the phone.

The main problem is that this POS is PLASTIC. The stupidity of this is incredible: The entire front and back of the phone are glass, but the most optically important part is PLASTIC?

And THEN there's the stupidity of not recessing this lens into the back of the camera.

Apple never learns.

My brother too experienced the same problem and from then he started using a protective cover. It will be like that of the soft Plastic case. The main thing about it is, it won't spoil the beauty of the iPhone.

A lot of people will probably say not to do this because it will let dust in but I've done it with no problems so far.
take the back off, use the screw driver you used to take the back off to push the lens cover out, put the back back on, simple, my photos were getting distorted by the scratches, but now I'm back to normal and I just occasionally remove the back to make sure not too much crud is getting in.
simples ;-)

Ive heard from some other people about the same problem. Its because the lens on the camera sticks out just barely more than the rest of the phone.

The main problem is that this POS is PLASTIC. The stupidity of this is incredible: The entire front and back of the phone are glass, but the most optically important part is PLASTIC?

And THEN there's the stupidity of not recessing this lens into the back of the camera.

Apple never learns.

yep... the plastic is a huge bummer.

I replaced my lens cover this morning. (Paid under $3 for a new one on eBay.) My old one was glued down incredibly well and I could not get it loose even with a little solvent and a screwdriver. I ended up drilling through the lens, which gave me the leverage to easily pop the piece out with small needle nose pliers.

I recently replaced the Lens Cover on my iPhone 4 without issue, here are the steps... follow at your own risk!

Things needed: Philips #00 screw driver or 5-Star screw driver, 1 x match, 1 x wooden chopstick.
Read all steps before performing as you need to do steps 4-6 quickly.

If you have a factory replacement lens cover, don't forget to remove the plastic wrap. Use a dull plastic knife and tweezers as to not scratch the new lens, it's lightly taped to the lens.

1. My phone consists of the Philips screws, so I used a <1mm flat head screw driver to gently remove the two screws on the bottom of the phone. Steady force, gently twist counter clockwise.
2. I pushed the back cover upwards, away from the charge port and the cover moved about 3mm allowing me to remove the cover.
3. The cover lens is glued in place and located on the iPhone cover you removed. Do not use knives or your fingernails as you will scratch the paint of your glass cover! Instead, hold the cover upside down with the inside facing downward. (Apple logo facing up). Hold the cover above your head. The next part is done quickly:
4. LIGHT 1 and only 1 match. Hold the flame directly under the Lens Cover allowing the flame to be 2CM away from the plastic. When the match is about 70% burnt, put it out.
5. Put the cover on a flat surface at the end of a table with the inside facing UP. (Apple logo facing DOWN)
6. Take the chopstick and press it against the lens from UNDERNEATH. At the same time, hold the cover firmly near the lens as not to snap your cover. Run the chopstick in small circles over the lens while pushing it UPWARDS (imagine poking a hole into the cover from beneath.).
7. Within 5 seconds, the lens and ring will POP-OUT toward you and no damage will be done to your cover. I suggest repeating with another match if the lens cover does not pop after 5 seconds.
8. Place your replacement lens cover into the hole (the existing melted glue will hold it in place) and reverse step 2 to get your back cover back on.
9. Twist your screws back into the bottom of the phone, turning clockwise. Don't over tighten in case you need to get back into the phone in the future.

Congrats, and keep a case on your phone to prevent the lens from getting scratched again!

email me your comments: [email protected]

Last edited: