What's new

Samsung Ordered to Pay Apple More than $1 Billion in Damages

Samsungs comments:

"Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer."

I feel that Samsung is simply trying to shift the blame here:

"It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices"
The errors in that statement are obvious. If you can't use someone else's tech then you're forced to create something new. That, in itself, will lead to more choices and innovation. The word "potential" equates to "maybe". And, where there's a "maybe", there's also a "maybe not". I also feel that, if Samsung were so innovative, they wouldn't have felt the need to copy the products of other companies.

This Apple victory may be the best thing that ever happened to Samsung. Now they're free to go and create something new (i.e. innovation, more choices).. that may eventually blow everyone else out of the water. That may never have happened if Apple hadn't won this case.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
How is samsung innovative when they infringed on apples patents apple may be "behind" in some aspects but thats because unlike any other companies they value quality over quantity! They don't just throw things on the iPhone like samsung and call it done y do u think u still see people with the original iPhone actually working its quality. ALL companies "steal" to some extent theres no argument there but when u make your phone and or tablet look and operate just another add a few small features and try to pass it off as your own your asking for trouble its still thievery. As for your remarks towards "siri" and such its just a virtual assistant, if your argument is that its similar every company is guilty like all the various computer manufacturers for example the computer only originated from 1 source and then someone made their own version to compete! It all comes down to whats legal and right and whats not its just that simple.

well first let me start off by saying most if not all of thoes apples patents were not apple's ideas. c'mon patenting the idea of square phone? give me a freaking break my old lg chocolate was about as square as they come and they came in white and was released around 2007-08 well before the first iphone even came out, so no apple was not the first company to come out with that idea. as far as apple not releasing things before they actually ready, really you wanna go there? ok your drop down menu which was on android since like day 1 is way more polished that the one on the current iphone so much for that theory. as a matter of fact now that i think of it. i find myself very hard pressed to find atleast 10 things that apple has invented pre wosniack. can you think of 10 things? i think not.

ok your drop down menu which was on android since like day 1 is way more polished that the one on the current iphone so much for that theory.
I remember using drop-down menus in GNOME before Android was ever created. So, drop-down menus weren't discovered/invented by the Android team. Android simply incorporated someone else's ideas.

I like the part that Samsung says they did not steal anything from Apple, but there is an email saying Samsung should incorporate Apples ideas into their phones. Real innovative!

PHONEGUY said:
well first let me start off by saying most if not all of thoes apples patents were not apple's ideas. c'mon patenting the idea of square phone? give me a freaking break my old lg chocolate was about as square as they come and they came in white and was released around 2007-08 well before the first iphone even came out, so no apple was not the first company to come out with that idea. as far as apple not releasing things before they actually ready, really you wanna go there? ok your drop down menu which was on android since like day 1 is way more polished that the one on the current iphone so much for that theory. as a matter of fact now that i think of it. i find myself very hard pressed to find atleast 10 things that apple has invented pre wosniack. can you think of 10 things? i think not.

Apparently this guy did not read my post or understand it reread it sir. Your Argument is mere babbling, you've come unprepared as ive already addressed that i think the entire part in my post covers the whole "square phone" debate thing you've got going on!

This debate is getting a little heated,please keep it friendly or it will have to be closed,thank you.

Poisonivy said:
This debate is getting a little heated,please keep it friendly or it will have to be closed,thank you.

You got it im going to leave it be ;)

Poisonivy said:
the way i see it is we as moderators clamp down hard on pirates that steal,isnt it the same thing? stealing is stealing.

Agreed 110%

Poison ivy is correct.... I personally have been an Apple user since 1977 and as a developer then reseller have seen many issues develop w ith Apple. This law suite with Samsung is really just the beginning. Samsung copied the iPhone period and that is what was delivered by the jury on Friday. Over the next 2 months or more the law suite will progress with additional charges. The bottom line is accept it. If Samsung decides to appeal then so be it. Discussions regarding out comes etc etc should be civil or yes we will close the thread if it gets out of hand. Please think before you post ...

Thank you for your contribution.

Well, i do support the no stealing. I agree with Apple, samsung did rip off design of the iphone. But the way they (Apple) went about it, through ridiculous patents and abusing a messed up patent system it's wrong all over the place.

The US patent system was developed to protect small company's intellectual property from big firms that would otherwise steal the innovation and sell it at a lower cost. Apple is by no means a small company, and the patents validated in the trial are by no means innovations (rectangle with rounded borders? icons in a grid? sliding your hand across the touchscreen?).

As both iphone and samsung user (and economist) i don't agree that import bans actually promote competition. They protect the banning company, which means they can charge more for the same.

I would like to see Apple take another path, charge for patents (real innovation patents which they have a bunchload) and not hamper competition by seeking import bans.

Just my 2 cents, i love apple products, but this law abusing business strategy i find disgusting.