What's new

Samsung Ordered to Pay Apple More than $1 Billion in Damages

Thomasjtsi

Reaction score
apple-vs-samsung1.jpeg
After a deliberation of only 3 days... the jury in the Apple vs. Samsung patent infringement case came back w/ a heavily "Apple flavored" verdict. Ruling that Samsung has infringed upon many, but not all, patents currently held by apple.
Apple Vs. Samsung Trial: Verdict In Apple's Favor, Samsung Ordered to Pay More Than $1 Billion In Damages

This is such a shame because I like both apple and samsung .. I am watching my samsung smart Led 3D tv now while using my macbook pro o reply to the thread, two very good companies at war over this but in the end it lost apple all of that money when samsung used their idea

This is such a shame because I like both apple and samsung .. I am watching my samsung smart Led 3D tv now while using my macbook pro o reply to the thread, two very good companies at war over this but in the end it lost apple all of that money when samsung used their idea
it is a shame i agree.....talking of tv's Samsung make THE best tv's.

Yeah they do but the loss of sales from apple was probably huge though they still did very well with what was it 400 billion?

Col.bris said:
Strike 3 major hit against Samsung.. Be interesting what happens as a result of verdic.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple files a ban against certain Samsung products. I'm happy for Apple, more than one of my friends mistook a Samsung phone for an iPhone.

Apples comments:

We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung's copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung's behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn't right.

Samsungs comments:

"Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer."

I am with Samsung on this one. I love my iPhone, but this entire thing is crap, bloated with crap PR and just plain crap. This does absolutely nothing for the consumer market but like Samsung says, give less choices, and possibly higher prices. There are so many different angles you could go with this debate and different arguments for every argument someone puts up. I am a simple person, and everything can be boiled down to simplicity, and this simply put, hurts me as a consumer.

I for one am glad Apple won. Samsung and HTC copied Apple, both have white phones now like Apple. But, I think Samsung's comments are dramatic at best. They are trying to appeal the ignorant young consumers like they were bullied. In truth, Samsung took the designs of the iPhone while making parts for it and incorporated a majority of the design into their own cheap knockoff. It's common for that part of the world.

I am with Samsung on this one. I love my iPhone, but this entire thing is crap, bloated with crap PR and just plain crap. This does absolutely nothing for the consumer market but like Samsung says, give less choices, and possibly higher prices. There are so many different angles you could go with this debate and different arguments for every argument someone puts up. I am a simple person, and everything can be boiled down to simplicity, and this simply put, hurts me as a consumer.

Actually there are no subjective arguments here at all.

Samsung blatantly used patented design elements that Apple owns.

They were caught. They were found guilty. They were fined.

It's really just that simple.

fixd said:
This does absolutely nothing for the consumer market but like Samsung says, give less choices, and possibly higher prices. There are so many different angles you could go with this debate and different arguments for every argument someone puts up.

the BBC news reporting gave a different angle. They point out that the ruling will provide more choice to users as each company will have to develop their own different technology.....so look out for much more choice in the future.

One thing is for sure, Samsung are a giant company who would have considered this as the possible result and you can be certain that their R&D dept will have been working hard on a new line of mobile tech to maintain their position in the market. So, instead of less choice watch out for much more choice in the future.......which should be great news for all of us!

The Archangel

Read an interesting article on the net which suggested in the grand scheme of things 1 billion wasn't as big a sum it first appeared. The fact that samsungs infringed on all these patents is the reason they have become so successful. So this means they are the 2nd most successful in the smart phone market. At the end of the day would rim or htc not being willing to pay that much for the market position Samsung currently hold.

when you really stop and think about it, it's been samsung that has been innnovative these last 2 years,
with there phones. they were the 1st to come out with bigger phones like the nexus,GS2,GS3,note,and comming
soon the note2. with features like nfc,s-beam,dlna etc. not too mention the short cuts features like swipe
right to call,swipe left to text. or when texting just hold the phone up to your ear and the phone will call
that number. whenever someone ask me what do i think the new iphone will have that is new. my answer is always
look at the new android phones and more than likely there will be something from them that apple copied/steal.
case and point look at the latest improvements from apple. dropdown menu stolen from (android), siri samsung
already had something like it before siri. it's called s-voice, turn by turn nav will most likely be the next
highway robbery along with a bigger screen which apple said a few years ago that it will never do. because
supposedly the iphone screen size was already the perfect. so who's copying who now?

PHONEGUY said:
when you really stop and think about it, it's been samsung that has been innnovative these last 2 years,
with there phones. they were the 1st to come out with bigger phones like the nexus,GS2,GS3,note,and comming
soon the note2. with features like nfc,s-beam,dlna etc. not too mention the short cuts features like swipe
right to call,swipe left to text. or when texting just hold the phone up to your ear and the phone will call
that number. whenever someone ask me what do i think the new iphone will have that is new. my answer is always
look at the new android phones and more than likely there will be something from them that apple copied/steal.
case and point look at the latest improvements from apple. dropdown menu stolen from (android), siri samsung
already had something like it before siri. it's called s-voice, turn by turn nav will most likely be the next
highway robbery along with a bigger screen which apple said a few years ago that it will never do. because
supposedly the iphone screen size was already the perfect. so who's copying who now?

How is samsung innovative when they infringed on apples patents apple may be "behind" in some aspects but thats because unlike any other companies they value quality over quantity! They don't just throw things on the iPhone like samsung and call it done y do u think u still see people with the original iPhone actually working its quality. ALL companies "steal" to some extent theres no argument there but when u make your phone and or tablet look and operate just another add a few small features and try to pass it off as your own your asking for trouble its still thievery. As for your remarks towards "siri" and such its just a virtual assistant, if your argument is that its similar every company is guilty like all the various computer manufacturers for example the computer only originated from 1 source and then someone made their own version to compete! It all comes down to whats legal and right and whats not its just that simple.