What's new

Ringtones

robrlp

Reaction score
How do you add ringtones to the iphone from itunes. I can add them there but i cant see them when i want to set one for a contact ringtone.

They have to be in m4r format instead of m4a. I downloaded a free converter and it worked like a charm. I cant remember the name of the converter I used off hand (its at work and i'm at home) but if you google you'll find one.

Last edited:
You can actually just rename it m4r instead of m4a and it will work.

That is how i creat my custom ring tones as well. Here is a quick 5 min tutorial video that I found. No need to download any type of converter to make these 15 second ringtones, straight out of your iTunes library. Hope this helps, works great for me.

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV
Sweet! I'm getting my iphone on Sunday and I'm gonna go ahead and make some ringtones for my phone!

Sweet! I'm getting my iphone on Sunday and I'm gonna go ahead and make some ringtones for my phone!

Awesome. You will love the iPhone. The hardest part for me in making these customizable ringtones is deciding which 15 seconds of the song to copy ! It's like being a music producer! O.k., not really, but it's still fun :)

Awesome. You will love the iPhone. The hardest part for me in making these customizable ringtones is deciding which 15 seconds of the song to copy ! It's like being a music producer! O.k., not really, but it's still fun :)

I just made 11 lol.

Yeah I downloaded a free converter to convert all the ringtones I had on my Droid X to M4R, but you could only convert one at a time, so it took me about a half hour to covert them all. My only gripe is that I hate all the SMS tones and you cannot assign the ringtones you have as SMS because Apple hasn't come out with a way to use your own SMS as a tone. That's one thing I loved about my Droid phone, you can pretty much change any setting you want on the phone, set it to YOUR preferences. With Apple and its strict kung-fu death-lock grasp it has on all its products, not so much.