What's new

Ringtone Frustration - Please Help

WonderPam

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a problem that I am hoping someone can help me with. I am becoming increasingly agitated with my attempts at creating/installing ringtones on my iPhone 4S. Is there a way to get ringtones, specifically songs or portions of songs, on the iPhone without having to go through iTunes? Is there a way to get those ringtones without having to create your own? I was so excited when I learned that the iPhone has the capability to set different ringtones for individual contact text messages because my Android phone did not have that capability. However, when I learned how time consuming, confusing and absolutely frustrating it is to actually download ringtones to the iPhone and that I have to go through iTunes via my computer in order to do so, that excitement disappeared completely. Perhaps I just don't understand what I'm doing, which is a distinct possibility, but why is it such a tedious process to get ringtones for the iPhone? Why can't I just download ringtones and assign to contacts instead of having to change the iTunes .mpa to .mpr or whatever it is you have to do? I have downloaded so many ringtone apps, but they all seem to be pretty much the same. I admit that I am an app addict and tend to download 10 apps when I create a search, just to see if one is better than the next, and usually get overwhelmed and don't use most of the apps I download, but that would be a whole other topic. Right now, I am just desperate for help with the ringtone situation. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or advice? I don't know if this helps, but I like country music (just in case anyone has a suggested app for me to try). Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Pam

hi there!

well the thing about the iphone is that they have to be in .mr4 format so you have to go through itunes to upload it but you can convert your audio tracks/mp3s via any free audio editor online (for mac I use an app called any video converter) but they are easy to find for windows also and you would take the audio file and convert to AAC, then from aac (.m4a) you rename it to .m4r, but make sure you have file extensions for known types showing..

to do this for mac here are instructions : How do I show or hide file extensions on a Mac?

for windows: Show or hide file name extensions

once you have done that you will see the .m4a after converting the file and be able to change it to .m4r. Now I am not sure on the song length of the iphones, the last time I checked they have to be 30 seconds or under so make sure you do that also and chose what part of the song or sound you want and then in itunes add it the normal way which I asume by now you know how, if not then let me know and I shall explain how to.