What's new

How to use mp3 song as ringtone in iPhone 4 and 4S both ??

Rajnish357

Reaction score
I recently bought iPhone 4 for my bro and iPhone 4S for myself but I am unable to figure out how can I SET Mp3 Song I download from Internet as My RingTone in both. Previously I was using android it was very easy in that to set song as ringtone, just press and hold on the song and you will get the option to set it as ringtone.

Can Any one please help me by tell all the steps ??

Thanks in Advance !! :)

I will wait for replies !!

The one pitfall of the iPhone. It doesn't recognize MP3 songs as ringtones.

There is a way to convert songs to a format that the iPhone will read as a ringtone and import them from iTunes, just do a search here and you will find the thread with the directions how to do it. You will need iTunes though.

Take the mp3 you want to use, drop it into iTunes under your music. Right click and choose 'make AAC' version. Now go back in your music list, right click on the aac version you just made(make sure it's the aac version by right clicking and choose 'get info') and choose 'show in windows explorer'. Change the extension from .m4a to .m4r. Now drag that file back into itunes and drop it under Ringtones. It's a pain, I know.

I got this from the net, you just need itunes to read from the music on your pc/laptop or mac. The follow this steps:

1. Go to the song and control click, go to 'get info'
2. Go to 'options' and check the start and end times you want for the song (less than 40 seconds), then click 'ok'
3. Control click on the song again and choose 'Create ACC version' – NB this won't come up as an option if you are in the process of downloading or synching or importing, you have to wait until that's finished
4. Drag the file to the desktop (this will create a copy)
5. Delete the file from itunes (just the short one, not the original song!)
6. Rename the file on the desktop something short, with no special characters (spaces are ok), e.g. 'Milk Eyes Ringtone'. Add/ change the extention to .m4r (Milk Eyes Ringtone.m4r)

(NB – for PC users: I don't know these steps will work for you guys for changing the file extension this way, as I haven't tested it on a PC. You might be able to change it by going to song info or something, I don't know. Other people in this thread have posted suggestions about how to change file extensions so take a look around if this doesn't work for you).

7. Drag the file/ track back from the desktop to your itunes
8. Find this file in your itunes ringtones folder
9. Control click & go to 'Get info', then remove everything but the name of the ringtune in the 'Info' and 'Sorting' sections (including genre – choose 'none')
10. Drag your new ringtones to your iphone. OR (if this doesn't work)

10. Click on your iphone ringtone folder
11. Go to the file menu (top of your computer screen) and choose 'Sync (John Smith's) iphone'

This worked for me and i used itunes on my laptop (windows)
I havent created more yet, i just created one. And i dont know if you can start the ringtone from any part of the song, say start from the chorus, since the tone i pick is already a catchy tune at the start (its Jason De Rulo's IT GIRL)

http://maketecheasier.com/create-an-iphone-ringtone-using-itunes-for-free/2009/05/15 heres the link for better understanding.. Though the instructions i posted here can be found on a comment by another user.

Sent from my iPad2 3g+WiFi using Forum Runner