What's new

Ringtone Help

priester68

Reaction score
I just got my 4S today and I'm stunned to find out that the ringtone selection on the phone is horrible. I don't want my phone to sound like a duck or a train, or my grandmothers old phone. I have a ringtone(mp3) stored on my pc and can't figure out for the life of me how to get it on the phone. I tried Dropbox, tried putting it into the itunes library, and nothing. Any suggestions?

I make custom ringtones on my iPhone using this helpful guide (and a Windows PC). Maybe it'll help you? Try this:

---------------

Make an iPhone ringtone in iTunes 10

1) Launch iTunes 10

2) Find and select the song you want to make a ringtone out of in iTunes 10

3) Right-click on the song name and select ‘Get Info’, then click on the Options tab

4) Select the playback period of the song that you want to ringtone to be, make sure it’s 30 seconds (or less)

5) Now click “OK” and then right click on the song again, and select “Create AAC version” to create a new version of the song with the 30 second interval you specified

6) Locate this newly created 30 second clip in iTunes (at the top of the playlist if you search by ‘date added’) and right click on the file and then select “Show in Windows Explorer”

7) Now in Windows explorer, rename the file extension from .m4a to .m4r

8) Accept the file extension change to .m4r

9) Now back in iTunes remove the file from the playlist (do NOT move to Trash, select ‘keep file’) and then re-import the file into iTunes 10 by double clicking the .m4r file within the Finder or Windows

10) The file will now be added back into iTunes as a ringtone and you can do what you want with it

11) IMPORTANT! - Dont forget to change the start/end time back to normal [on the original song] after you're done, or every time you want to listen to that song it will only play 30 seconds!

------------------

Of course, you'll have to load that MP3 into iTunes, but then it should work. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

everytime i put .m4r on the back of the file it doesn't convert it? (I am a PC user)

also i can not find the ringtone tab on my itunes

Last edited:
T0omas said:
everytime i put .m4r on the back of the file it doesn't convert it? (I am a PC user)

Dump the PC and go with a Mac. JMO

Sent from my i4s

go to itunes store...search for application called Ringtones 500.000+ ---it's free....install it on your phone...and you have many many ringtones as it says 500.000 ringtones :) so you have many ringtones to choose from :)

Even you can create your own ringtones with this app...

here's a little tips for it cause i'm using it...

When you choose create ringtone inside the app...choose your song...cut it where you want...save it...connect your phone with the PC...open itunes...go to your phone icon...when it is open you have options like summary music etc...choose Applications..then choose this application...go down on the page and you'll see it your custom ringtone...drag it to the desktop...then from the desktop drag it to i tunes library and it will create new tab in the library called Tones...
Then again choose your phone...go to music...select manual sync on playlists etc...and you will see your ringtone so sync it...
or shortcut....drag it from the desktop directly to your phone and you will have it on the phone

I know that it sounds like too much work...but believe me once you got it's very easy with the next ringtones you create...

:)

Just to make sure I understand: You've converted your MP3 file to AAC, per step #5? Then, you changed the file extension to .m4r (so you have a new song named Song.m4r - not named Song.m4a.m4r or Song.m4a). Then, you put that new song back into iTunes.

If that's what you are doing, then I honestly don't know how to help. These steps work for me for any song I select from my iTunes library. Sorry it didn't work for you...

Also, if you can't see a ringtone tab in your iTunes (it should be on the top left side, under Library), you may not have it turned on in iTunes so that it'll show. Go to Edit > Preferences > General and, under the line "Sources," make sure you have Ringtones checked. That should fix that.

Marilyn