What's new

Restoring after JB issues

Ashley91

Reaction score
okay so today i decided i was going to change my passcode. my iphone 5 was jailbroken by evasi0n, i've never had any issues. however, after a long shift at work i realized i forgot my passcode. so i decided to restore my phone completely. to make my day worse when i got home my laptop to which my iphone is synced with wouldn't connect to the internet. i NEED to have a working phone so i decided to use my roommates computer to restore.....

i put my phone into DFU/recovery mode so i could update and restore on her computer. (she is running the latest iTtunes by the way.) i get the typical message "iTtunes has detected a phone in recovery mode, click here to restore blah blah blah." it'll start restoring for about 5 minutes, you know, verify the phone with apple like 500 times and extract software, yada yada. HOWEVER.... when it's almost done installing the firmware, bam, "an unknown error has occured."

what. the. hell. do. i. do?

ps - i've tried the restore process over and over about 5 different times and the same result each time. i'm officially stuck. ironically this HAS happened to me before but i feel like after the 3rd time or so trying to restore iTunes just decides to finally do it so i've never had to do anything else about it.

please help.

EDIT: the error message i receive is "unknown error (1)"

it could be the computer. restart it and try again. it could be the cable, try another one. it could be the usb port, try another one. since it is a 1 and not a minus 1 that takes out iphone hardware error. i am just throwing these out there, you probally have allready tried them. check the host files and make sure that tinyumbrella host is not on the list. if it is remove it. if all this does not work you need to try your computer when you get a internet connection.

it could be the computer. restart it and try again. it could be the cable, try another one. it could be the usb port, try another one. since it is a 1 and not a minus 1 that takes out iphone hardware error. i am just throwing these out there, you probally have allready tried them. check the host files and make sure that tinyumbrella host is not on the list. if it is remove it. if all this does not work you need to try your computer when you get a internet connection.

so because it is 1 and NOT -1, it definitely isn't a hardware issue? thank god.

what do you mean by make sure that tinyumbrella isn't the host? i wouldn't know how to go about checking and/or fixing that