What's new

Report says iPhone 5s, 5c show low touchscreen accuracy

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
1025-touchaccuracy-1.jpg

According to a new report from Finnish testing firm OptoFidelity, the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c show poor touch detection along the edges of their screen displays. And this is affecting the users’ typing accuracy, especially when hitting such keys like Q, O, and P on the iOS 7 virtual keyboard.

OptoFidelity is a Finnish company that specializes in measurement automation and machine vision and has used a specific testing software called “WatchDog” and a robotic finger to assess the accuracy of iPhone’s screen. It seems that the Samsung Galaxy S3 scores better than the new iPhone models, OptoFidelity sayinh the following:

"Because the touch accuracy is more even in Galaxy S3 than in iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, you get a lot less typing errors, and letters which are close to the edge are working better"

According to OptoFidelity’s parameters, a result is considered "accurate" if it's within 1mm of the robotic finger's actual position. Of course, this is an independent test and there needs to be more research done before we can say that the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c show indeed low touchscreen accuracy along edges.

But there’s one quality of iPhone’s touchscreen that can’t be put to question - its responsiveness. Back in September, we reported that according to an Agawi analysis, iPhone 5's touchscreen is much faster than Galaxy S4's.

Have you experienced any issues when using the the edges of your iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c’s touchscreen?

Source: Geek

for me, the experience is more important than just a result from the test, i still felt that the accuracy of iPhone still much better than, the another touchscreen smartphone.

always had problems with the keypad on my iphones. maybe because i type too fast, but why should i slow down if thats my pace? oh well. something i have to live with. thats what manual correct is for

Some of these reports can be taken like a grain of salt, Personally I have not met or heard of any one having issues

Me either. I know that most of my typing problems are due to my own fat fingers. :) When I first started using the iPhone touchpad over 3 years ago I did have problems, but I soon learned that the part of my finger that was touching the screen was not where I thought it was. I learned to adjust my finger position to compensate and haven't had any major problems since.

I noticed this not while typing, but of all things playing candy crush. I have a small section about halfway down the screen on the right edge that seems to be dead. Looks fine, but if I try to move a game piece it won't move. Doesn't matter what I do, that small area doesn't register touch.

I noticed this not while typing, but of all things playing candy crush. I have a small section about halfway down the screen on the right edge that seems to be dead. Looks fine, but if I try to move a game piece it won't move. Doesn't matter what I do, that small area doesn't register touch.
Not that I know a lot about it, but that seems like it would be more of a programming issue, if it works fine for other things.

I have the same issue, same place!

yes happen in games like real racing 3 and candy crush sometimes the touch doesn't respond so quickly