What's new

Repaired iPhone 4 no sound, no mic, no wifi, but vibration

Chucco

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently repaired (partially) my mother-in-law's water damaged iPhone 4 (CDMA). I disassembled it, cleaned with a soft toothbrush and 90% alcohol solution, and reassembled properly. First time I turned it on it didn't load properly, and was continuously restarting from the apple logo screen. I did a complete restore through iTunes, and it made me upgrade to IOS 7.0.2. It now turns on and boots completely, and only has a few problems. I've done some research and troubleshooted it to no avail. Before I buy new parts and see if they work, I thought I would ask you all your opinions.

Here's the details:
1) Cell antenna seems to work fine. I can make/receive calls, text, and email no problem.
2) Wifi on/off button is greyed out, and cannot be turned on.
3) Bluetooth will not connect. On the Bluetooth page in Settings, it only shows the busy indicator.
4) It doesn't seem to recognize when headphones have been inserted. The popup window doesn't display headphones volume (only ringer volume) when the volume buttons are pressed.
5) There is no sound at all. When I try to play a voice mail or set an incoming call to speakerphone, the play/speakerphone buttons don't acknowledge the push. The volume buttons correctly change the volume and the mute switch seems to work properly as indicated by the popup displays. Inserting headphones makes no difference, the results are all the same.
6) The vibration does work. Perfectly. When selecting ringtones or vibration patterns in the sound settings page, the vibration works just like its supposed to, just no sound.
7) The mic does not work. Doesn't work during calls or recording voice memos. When I try to record a voice memo, the record button doesn't acknowledge the push and won't even try to record. Again, inserting headphones makes no difference.
8) The phone connects to iTunes and charges perfectly. I think the docking port works the way it is supposed to.

I'm thinking that the headphone jack should be replaced, but I don't see how that could affect the other issues.
One thing that has me confused after doing some research is the vibration. In every case that I found concerning no sound/mic issues the vibration was inoperative, the sound was intermittent or worked with speakerphone and/or headphones. The most common solution was to replace/clean the docking port and/or headphone jack. I have inspected and cleaned both and found no visible damage. Another possible solution I have found was to re-ball the audio chip. I don't really want to do that unless I'm convinced its the only way to try to fix it (I'd probably end up breaking it even more).

What would cause the microphone and sound to be inoperative, but not affect the vibration motor? Can a faulty headphone jack do all that?
I am also assuming that the Wifi/Bluetooth issue is unrelated, and I am hoping that it is due to a software problem with IOS 7. The Wifi antenna is connected properly and doesn't appear to be damaged at all. I've done a second complete restore in an attempt to fix the Wifi issue, but it made no difference.

Any opinions on these issues would be appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help!

Try taking it to nearest Apple store. Welcome to iPF and hope you have a good time here. :)

Apple can do nothing other than offer a replacement for a fee

It is a pity you have no all risk cover.

I just finished replacing the headphone jack, and there is no change at all. It would appear that the problem isn't the headphone jack, or top microphone, or connectors on the headphone jack tape. Its puzzling why the phone won't recognize that headphones have been plugged in, but the headphone jack seems to be working properly.

Any ideas?

I just finished replacing the headphone jack, and there is no change at all. It would appear that the problem isn't the headphone jack, or top microphone, or connectors on the headphone jack tape. Its puzzling why the phone won't recognize that headphones have been plugged in, but the headphone jack seems to be working properly.

Any ideas?

I have the exact issues. I have looked at the entire logic board under a high powered microscope, there is no damage to the board. I tried the board in a complete different iPhone and the issues follow the logic board. A full restore has not repaired the issue. If anyone has fixed the issue please help.....