What's new

iPhone 4 Sound problem - No sounds but will Ring

Moeggo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been searching and haven't had much luck finding my problem...

I have a iPhone 4 running the latest IOS 6 update 6.0.1 and it seems to lost all the sound...

There are no clicks or beeps when typing, no message/alert tones, and the volume buttons on the side don't raise/lower the volume. I notice there is no sound options when watching a clip on you tube either, or no playing music too. But when it rings it plays its ringtone fine.

I have check the sounds setting and they are set correctly... I don't get sound when I select a tone in the settings area, Ringtone works fine again....

I can play music when the headphones are plugged in and I can lower/raise the volume fine...

Things that I have tried so far...

• Blown/removed all the dust and lint from the headphone jack and charge/dock connector. Cleaned these points with Isopropyl Alcohol.
  • Plugged and removed headphone and charging cable multiple times.
  • Tissue in the headphone jack to remove any moisture
  • Hard Restart
  • squeezed the lower right corner
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help in Advance!

You didn't mention, but I am assuming you checked to make sure your mute button is not ON?

Indeed.. First thing I checked too..

Connect the phone to the charger and make hard reset while charging and plugged into the charger then remove it! Dont ask why to do this just try it and tell us what happened!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk!

I had the same problem and tried all of the above that you did.

The solution that solved the problem was replacing the dock connector and headphone jack cable.

The parts cost me about $9 for both on eBay and took a few days to arrive but it was well worth the wait.

You might be able to get away with just changing the dock connector because this problem seems to be caused by damaged pins in the dock connector but I would buy both just to be safe.

First to try the above that i mentioned!

Connect the phone to the charger and make hard reset while charging and plugged into the charger then remove it! Dont ask why to do this just try it and tell us what happened!

I have tried this as well.... no joy still have the same issue.

I was kinda hoping that was not the issue... but it seems leaning that way.

Cheers!

Than it seems to be hardware briked!

I've had the same problem. Went away by itself but now I have an intermittent problem. When I send or receive a call, sometimes people on the other end don't hear me. Sometimes it works for a while and then quits. It seems to be software related. After restoring the phone it seems to work fine. Then I bring back my apps and the problem comes back. Now I'm reinstalling my apps one by one and testing the phone app each time to try to identify the offending app.
Have you tried restoring your phone back to its original settings?

Yes I did that too... Its been fixed. In the end it was a faulty Dock connection plug.

Good! In my case it seems it was due to an app called Songza. Like I said, I've been reinstalling apps one by one and the problem came back after reinstalling and running this app. Stopped the app and everything is back to normal.