What's new

4s suddenly no sound

john doe

Reaction score
my iphone 4s suddenly has no sound ,was using it to play slots it was working fine . had sound . next time i went to use it no sound with any apps , no sound plays when playing music .

everything has sound thru headphones .

speaker works ,i can still play my ringtone. when i play music the volume slider does not work ,it does not illuminate.soon as i plug in headphones slider lights up and works as normal ,sound in apps works fine too .
i have the latest ios release (no beta)_

i am stumped .what to do???

And you checked the mute button on the side of the phone (just above the volume keys) and it is pushed toward the front of the phone and does nothing show red?

just done some research and discovered its my 30 pin connector .if i mess with it with the cable i can get the slider and sound back .mystery solved ,but now to find someone to do the work .

not sure how the connector would affect sound but perhaps you can test that using another cable.

just done some research and discovered its my 30 pin connector .if i mess with it with the cable i can get the slider and sound back .mystery solved ,but now to find someone to do the work .
Try going to YouTube, and turning the volume down. Then turn it all the way up. Then go back to the home screen and turn the volume all the way up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Maybe cleaning the connector will help. Use a toothpick or compressed air to remove lint or debris.

Easy to replace the charge connector.
Edited by IPF Staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure how the connector would affect sound but perhaps you can test that using another cable.
well i wasnt sure myself but i did a search on here and read that the connector could be the problem and sure enough if i jiggle the connector around while its plugged in i can get the sound back .
when theres no sound the volume slider doesnt even load .unless i fix this myself it might not be worth the repair .
i watched some youtube vids on the repair and it involves a near total dis assembly of the phone ,and you need the right tools as well .
phones a little over 2 years old i guess .the connector has seen tons of use in that time ,i charge this thing daily,if not twice a day .

Maybe cleaning the connector will help. Use a toothpick or compressed air to remove lint or debris.
]
that in itself doesnt seem like the issue ,it charges fine ,gets recognized when plugged in . i will have to get out the jewelers loupe and see if i can see anything out the ordinary .
with the amount of threads i found during the search it appears a more than not common issue

How many music player did you install there? This may be player problem. Because too many music player at a time make noise. This may be the reason for off sound.
With "music player", do you mean apps that play music? I have five of these installed on my iPhone, and as soon as I open one of them, the one that played before stops playing.

no other players ,no need . got my phone working for the moment ,but surely the connector will need fixed at some point if it becomes unreliable .

Hi all
I have the same problem about my iPhone 4s,,,sometimes I have voice on it sometimes don't ,,,,imnot proffetional on phone too ,, I have this phone around 3 years ,,, Plz if some1 can help me,, I be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk