What's new

iPhone 4 weird sound problem no Text Sounds but Rings ok

tsnstuff

Reaction score
Hello all. I tried doing a search for this but was unable to find anything, found something that sounded very similar but that wasn't it :(

Anyway, friend of mine came to me today with an iPhone problem, but I'm not really an iPhone user (used to be a while back) so I couldn't really help her any. She' s having a rather odd problem though.

I'll start off by mentioning that this started to happen after she dropped her phone. And she drops her phone quite often. The back of her phone is all shattered. So my first thought was the obvious, it's messed up because you dropped it.

However, here is the problem. She is not hearing certain sounds. Like text tones vibrate, they don't ring. Keyboard doesn't make clicks, pressing power doesn't make that cute little noise. However, sound does work because the alarm sounds fine and ringtones sound fine too. It also doesn't seem to be able to detect if you plug in headphones or not.

Already tried doing a reset of all settings, that didn't do anything. I'm telling her to try updating to iOS 5 to see if it helps but something tells me it wont.

I was able to find something very similar on the apple support forum, but they all basically say Apple just exchanged the phones when they said what the problem was. Since my friends back is all cracked however I highly doubt they will help her like that.

Have any of you ever had a similar problem or heard of it? Anything I should be looking at that I haven't mentioned?

Hello all. I tried doing a search for this but was unable to find anything, found something that sounded very similar but that wasn't it :(

Anyway, friend of mine came to me today with an iPhone problem, but I'm not really an iPhone user (used to be a while back) so I couldn't really help her any. She' s having a rather odd problem though.

I'll start off by mentioning that this started to happen after she dropped her phone. And she drops her phone quite often. The back of her phone is all shattered. So my first thought was the obvious, it's messed up because you dropped it.

However, here is the problem. She is not hearing certain sounds. Like text tones vibrate, they don't ring. Keyboard doesn't make clicks, pressing power doesn't make that cute little noise. However, sound does work because the alarm sounds fine and ringtones sound fine too. It also doesn't seem to be able to detect if you plug in headphones or not.

Already tried doing a reset of all settings, that didn't do anything. I'm telling her to try updating to iOS 5 to see if it helps but something tells me it wont.

I was able to find something very similar on the apple support forum, but they all basically say Apple just exchanged the phones when they said what the problem was. Since my friends back is all cracked however I highly doubt they will help her like that.

Have any of you ever had a similar problem or heard of it? Anything I should be looking at that I haven't mentioned?
i just had a problem where i wasn't hearing the text tone when a text came on my 4s and all it was is that i had accidentally turned off the little slider at the side of the phone,its just above the volume buttons,check that,a bell comes on the screen.

Yea, sorry, that's one of the things I checked already :( . Turned Bluetooth on and back off as well since I read somewhere that bluetooth may be an issue. When I switch it to mute I do get the bell with the slash over it and when I turn it back on it shows the bell by itself. So that much is working fine.

I mean, I know that something can certainly break inside and cause this, just seems odd, you'd think if the audio goes out it would go all out, not just out for some things.

I keep wondering if some setting got stuck somewhere but it's not showing it to me.

Yea, sorry, that's one of the things I checked already :( . Turned Bluetooth on and back off as well since I read somewhere that bluetooth may be an issue. When I switch it to mute I do get the bell with the slash over it and when I turn it back on it shows the bell by itself. So that much is working fine.

I mean, I know that something can certainly break inside and cause this, just seems odd, you'd think if the audio goes out it would go all out, not just out for some things.

I keep wondering if some setting got stuck somewhere but it's not showing it to me.
might be a daft question so forgive me if it is but have you got any cover with apple?if so you could ask them.

It's my friends phone, more of a co-worker so I'm not sure, but I get the impression she doesn't. I told her to go ask them anyway, if it's a known problem for them maybe they'll just get her a different phone anyway. Who knows. Although this is already a furbished phone, her first one fell in coffee. . . . . don't ask, I don't know lol.

But yea, everything tells me something must be messed up inside the phone hardwarewise, it's just odd that some things would play fine and others wouldn't. You'd think whatever makes a ringtone play is the same thing that would make a text tone play. Guess not.

Well, I guess this thread can be closed now. She just came by and told me that after unplugging some headphones all of a sudden the sounds started coming up again. So, who knows, I guess something is up with the headphone jack. . . Oh well, Thank you very much for your suggestions Poisonivy :)

Well, I guess this thread can be closed now. She just came by and told me that after unplugging some headphones all of a sudden the sounds started coming up again. So, who knows, I guess something is up with the headphone jack. . . Oh well, Thank you very much for your suggestions Poisonivy :)
youre welcome,glad theres a happy ending.

I just read a blog somewhere (didn't save the link before coming here) that details how the iphone 'smartly' adjusts volume based on what is specifically going on at the time. When headphones are plugged in, the buttons adjust the headphone volume but do not mess with ring, notification, etc.

Is there a list of all the specific 'volumes' that can be adjusted? When I am listening to music on headphones, I cannot hear notifications or ringer. I have adjusted ringer higher when headphones aren't plugged in, but it seems to auto-adjust back down when I plug them back in. I am missing calls and it is driving me mad.