What's new

Redsnow on flash drive.

Dynocompe1990

Reaction score
I jailbroke my first gen iPod touch years ago, but restored to original when it got retired to my glovebox in my truck in order to get maximum song storage. So I'm not very up to date on the jailbreaking world.

Since I've had my iPhone 4 I've wanted to jailbreak. It is running 6.0.1 after getting a replacement from the apple store. I'm not sure about the semi tethered portion. I was thinking about whether it is possible to put redsn0w on a flash drive so I can run it on my work computer without having it stored on that hard drive.

I think I would feel better having it on my flash drive in my drawer incase my phone crashes or requires a reboot. I'm at work for a solid 11 hours so I spend more time there than outside of work.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Tapatalk'd from iPhone.

It works. Just extract the archived file you downloaded into the flash drive. There aren't any dependencies in RedSn0w really assuming you're not retrieving anything like blobs, etc. Assuming you're using it only to boot your phone when you need it, then it'll definitely work.

Awesome! That's all I needed to hear! As long as I can boot my device from the flash drive, I feel better about the semi tethered aspect of it. I was holding out for an untethered but I'm losing hope!

Thanks again!

Tapatalk'd from iPhone.

Your work computer will also need to have iTunes installed... thus having the proper driver for your iPhone's connectivity to said computer.

Your work computer will also need to have iTunes installed... thus having the proper driver for your iPhone's connectivity to said computer.

To add on to Justin's point, iTunes doesn't exactly work through a USB since there are a lot of local files, so you'll have to have access to a computer with iTunes or carry the installation package in the flash drive as well assuming the owner of the PC will let your install stuff on it.

To add on to Justin's point, iTunes doesn't exactly work through a USB since there are a lot of local files, so you'll have to have access to a computer with iTunes or carry the installation package in the flash drive as well assuming the owner of the PC will let your install stuff on it.

I am going to check that out. If I have to install iTunes then I may as well install redsn0w to it also. I figured if I could do it straight off the flash drive I wouldn't have to ask the "IT guy"

Tapatalk'd from iPhone.

Well if you have a netbook or something, just keep it all on there. Otherwise, it'll be pretty hard to keep iTunes on a flash drive since it was never "portablized".

I don't have a netbook. I may just install it all to my work computer.

Tapatalk'd from iPhone.