What's new

Reception discovery

eastbayhawk

Reaction score
My name is wes,

I normally don't post in forums but i found something really interesting today.

First let me explain myself; i am a semi-tech savvy individual
who has been a big PC user all my life. I grew up with friends who hated mac and so did i. After a few generations of ipods come out i picked up an 80g black ipod, i liked it but rarely used it. that was about 3 years ago, about 5 months back my p.o.s. metro phone took a dump so i decided to join at&t which my girlfriend is on and get an iphone, like she also has. I was advised by peers to wait until the "rumored" new phone comes out in july, so i did.

Fast forward to a week ago, I caught wind of the "death grip" youtube videos the night before i went to pick up.. the most expensive exciting phone ive ever bought. I was nervous ( a bit queezy ) when i arived at the at&t store and picked up my new phone. I instantly tested the "death grip" out while leaving the store and couldnt emulate what i had seen on youtube, but im smart enough to realize that i needed to get farther away fromt he at&t's magic demo reception. Later that night i indeed emulated the bar dropping hold.

What inspired me to post this is the following that i discoverd, sorry for the long winded back story but i felt it was neccesary to show im not an apple fan boy.

I was going to use a case regardless because i work in outdoor sales. Today at work after reading the apple letter about "bar display glitches" i decided to test what was happening. I used the speedtest app that displays download and upload speed to check what was happening to the iphone signal. I grabbed my coworkers iphone 3gs to do side-by-side comparison.

Keep in mind he hasnt been able to update his OS to 4.0 yet. laying them flat on a table, identical bars the iphone 4 was almost the same on download speed ( up by about 160 kb ). The upload speed was extreemly higher on the 4 then the 3gs, about 600kb. i then cupped the
bottom left corner of my iphone 4, got the signial to drop to 1 bar from 4 and the test kept freezing or reading 1-6 kb. i did the same thing with his 3gs running old software and got his phone to drop to 1 bar.. the test read about 18-25 kb everytime.

I need to bring my flip to work to capture this and uploaded it but this is EXTREEMLY interesting to me. Unless im wrong it apears that both apple and angry bloggers are off.. it seems as though the problem exsisted on older iphones with previous software and also that the problem is not just visual, it does affect connection speed on any iphones.

The real question to me then is; If this problem exsisted before why werent people up in arms when previous models were droping calls. Unless they were chalking to at&ts network, it does seem that the iphone 4 points a big red arrow at the flaw that exsisted because you can see the antenna and the exposed nature of it seems to make it more sensitive to this flaw.

If anyone has a friend with iphone that still has pre- IOS 4.0 software test this out.

Last edited:
Hi eastbayhawk , i have got last saturday the iPhone4 (IP4) , and i have really notice in place where i can’t receive phone call with my 3Gs , now i can with the IP4 … i have also try to experience the dance on the antenna level … the only way i have found is when my hand are wet … other than this my reception is much better than 3Gs (in iOS4)

As i believe some people take face at this problem , we can conclude one of the reason can be the sensibility of the skin of some people … i really can’t imagine Apple lying saying this just a software problem , when the problem is in the conception , can you just imagine what will be the damage for them ?? and their image will be destroyed for long long time … and they know how many people are just focusing on every small weak point from them

So based on that, we can believe what they have stated hours ago ..

Agreed.

From the most unbiased perspective i can give that its a combination of a very high profile hardware launch and an on going problem. Think about it, this phone had the highest number of pre-sales of any Iphone . 1 out of the 600,000 pre-sales unboxed the phone and played with the new phone, found the flaw and being that the external antenna is such a new idea you automaticlly assume it is the source of the problem. Upload it to youtube , e-panic spreads and people ( like me ) who wouldnt otherwise try to drop bars, start mimicking the videos.

I'm not trying to defend apple but i've seen first hand that the differnt verisons of the phone and software all do the same thing. The attenna being exposed is only marginly more sensitive from what ive seen. point being i havent heard of one class action lawsuit over a 3gs dropping calls, just people previously complaing about at&t . You cant claim its exclusive to the iphone 4 so arguments that this phone is exclusively is a "lemon" or inferior to the previous phones go out the window.

I mean i may be wrong but im just trying to take a logical stance on the facts both ive discoverd and ive researched.

The only reason it's got to be such big news, is that it's Apple, and people love to pick on the big guy! There have been worse problems on other phones and yet we barely hear anything about it. I love my iPhone 4 and honestly haven't any complaints. Why is it so hard for those who aren't satisfied to just return their phone and go on with their life!

The only reason it's got to be such big news, is that it's Apple, and people love to pick on the big guy! There have been worse problems on other phones and yet we barely hear anything about it. I love my iPhone 4 and honestly haven't any complaints. Why is it so hard for those who aren't satisfied to just return their phone and go on with their life!

I totally agree it is a consumer device if you are not happy take it back. Nothing is perfect in saying that after some 30 years back ground with Apple I am confident in Apple resolving any issues in a short period and thus putting any complaints to rest.

fwiw, in the Chicago area, I've had no reception probs, regardless of how I hold my iphone. But in rural areas (where I am now), where 2 bars is considered good, I see a very big diff if I lay my phone down on a table, versus hold it ANYWHERE. So that's how I've been using it - lay it down to receive, pick up to reply (get a no internet warning), type a reply email, lay it down...and it sends.