What's new

Re the Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but is there much of anything left by the end of your shift?

>> hunting like a big game hunter now!

Just make sure that you are the hunter...

Thank goodness for our restrictive gun laws!

You said it, NSquirrel! As I arrive in the car park at a shop, especially early in the mornings, I see people parking as quickly as possible and then sprinting to the door! Observing this behaviour has made me realise just how easily a riot could break out over anything where people are frightened.

Last edited:
I have begun to think more strategically than ever before about this situation. The customer service representative at the garage last week told me that he has found more items available farther out of the main city where we live. He advised going to outlying towns to shop for essentials. That sounds good, but for myself, I am afraid to drive too far from home as my old motor is not in the best condition, and I do not want to become stranded 20-25+ miles from home, possibly on a motorway with either no or poor lighting.

It also occurred to me to go to shops in the most impoverished section of the city. People there do not have the money to stockpile essentials, so they would be shopping as normal, and logically speaking at least, more products should be left on the shelves. The flaw in that plan is that crime is much higher there as well, so I would be more vulnerable to mugging, motor breaki-ins, etc. Also, the shops there are most vulnerable to shoplifters, so the shelves may be empty for that reason as well.

Some people who are panicked but do not have the money to purchase essentials would be willing to steal them. In fact, I have heard that supplies such as loo rolls and hand sanitiser have been stolen from public areas such as public loos at shops, etc. I am more concerned now than ever before about leaving my shopping locked inside my motor as I progress from shop to shop in search of essentials. Many years ago, someone once broke into my husband's motor to steal a very inexpensive Walkman type unit. As I recall, it only cost about $10. He would have rather given it the thief than to have to have his window replaced. If they are wiling to break a window to get a $10 Walkman type unit, then I have no doubt they would be willing to break my motor's window in order to steal sanitary wipes, loo rolls, etc.

I live in a neighbourhood that is very convenient to so many things, but it is also a very old neighbourhood, and many if not most of the properties are renter occupied, and we have a lot of crime around here. Some property owners have installed lockable iron cages over their HVAC units because the thieves steal the copper wiring out of the units because they can fence the wiring for a good bit of money with little to no fear of being caught. How does one identify a roll of copper wire as being stolen? A couple of years ago, presumably during the nighttime hours, someone actually unscrewed and stole the maker's metal emblems from each side of my motor. Last Autumn, someone stole a short piece of telephone pole that a friend gifted me late last Summer. I planned to turn it into a base for a birdbath. A couple of years before that happened, someone came into my fenced and gated courtyard to steal an old, chippy bird feeder, so ever since then, I have kept the courtyard padlocked day and night. Of course I always report these things to police for the sake of statistics and in the hope it might bring our neighbourhood more police patrol (so far it has not increased patrol), but I know police will never recover my property. Anyway, if the miscreants would steal a piece of telephone pole and a damaged old bird feeder, I have no doubt they would steal supplies from anyone's motor.

Whoever said it is a jungle out there was not joking! One of my friends has predicted a big rise in the number of muggings and property break-ins as time goes by with so many people unemployed.

Last edited:
Oh, well that explains it scifan57! Lucky you!!! :)

We have ‘lawless’ areas as I suppose does every country. As if we don’t have enough to worry about...

On the subject of stealing things, the subject of pickpockets came up in Florence & Rome, but fortunately nothing happened. I think perhaps because both times we were out of season.
Anyway one of my ‘creative’ suggestions was to have a mouse trap dangling from a handbag. If you saw a mousetrap hanging from a handbag, would you put your hand in the bag? Never to put to the test... yet (Also my wife was a little reluctant to say the least!)

Right now, I think it would be most effective to glue a warning sign to the handbag that reads: I have the virus and my handbag is full of contaminated tissues. :p

The sad and frightening thing is a lot of his "flock" will probably attend. Who knows how many of them could end up dead or infected and infecting others who could end up dead and/or spreading the virus to who knows how many all because Spell likes to be the centre of attention.

If you shout Fire! in a crowded theatre, you go to jail. I think the same should apply to sick people like Spell doing something like this whereby he seriously endangers the health and safety of so many innocent, albeit stupid, people..

Last edited:
>>...endangers the health and safety of so many innocent, albeit stupid, people...
Over the world there seem to be masses of people who ignore the warnings of the very real danger to themselves and their loved ones and those around them with this virus.

I wonder whether they blast their ears with music and podcasts and really have no idea of what is going on? Do they read, listen to or hear the news? Are they deaf to current affairs? Do they just meet up and party and to hell with what is going on around them; perhaps they think themselves immune? Are we all that special? What is wrong with people?

I suspect there is no one answer to that question.

As for Pastor Spell?

Status
Not open for further replies.