What's new

Rattle noise from camera area

The statement that I've made about the rattles shouldn't exist is still true... it just doesn't bother me because I know exactly what it is and it doesn't effect anything.
That alone should tell you that your statement is too broad, Thomas. ;) Like others here have said - there's been a rattle on all phones from the 4 on. It is around the camera area. It's well documented on several forums I've visited over the years. There's nothing wrong with our phones. It's just something in there that makes that sound. You have to shake it pretty well to notice it. But my family has an assortment of 4, 4S and 5. And they all have the rattle.

That alone should tell you that your statement is too broad, Thomas. ;) Like others here have said - there's been a rattle on all phones from the 4 on. It is around the camera area. It's well documented on several forums I've visited over the years. There's nothing wrong with our phones. It's just something in there that makes that sound. You have to shake it pretty well to notice it. But my family has an assortment of 4, 4S and 5. And they all have the rattle.

Yes, the statement I made is broad. Because it is solely my opinion on the matter. Regardless of whether or not my iPhone, your iPhone, or anyone else's iPhone has a rattle... the fact still remains that it shouldn't be there! Not on a $650+ high end item.

Last edited:
Ok...mine did not before buy had something on the inside of the camera lens. Took it in and they swapped it out for a new device...this one rattles ever so slightly. Lol

Yes, the statement I made is broad. Because it is solely my opinion on the matter. Regardless of whether or not my iPhone, your iPhone, or anyone else's iPhone has a rattle... the fact still remains that it shouldn't be there! Not on a $650+ high end item.
;).. You're preaching to the choir. And yet it is there more often than not. I just wish Apple would address it more directly. My phones work perfectly but it's disconcerting to hear a rattle. My guess is that it's a wire near the outer shell. But the 4, 4S and 5 are such vastly different designs. It seems unfathomable that a rattle could be common to three different designed phones. And yet it's there. :-/

Here's an update I figured I'd share, yesterday I contacted the Coordinator for Government Customer Operations at Verizon, (because my works contract is under Gov't), about the rattle and the volume fading in-and-out while talking on the phone. She has heard others complaining about the rattle but doesn't know exactly what it is but did say most of the one's she's seen all have the rattle, but a few don't. So not really an answer, but at least they are aware of it.

Anyway, I was sent a new i5 (overnighted) and got it today. It has the same rattle as my other one but the volume issue is gone. Talking on the phone is now crystal clear, which makes me very happy with the phone again. On a side-note, it was pre-installed with 6.0.1

I took mine into apple yesterday and this is what they told me. When he took it apart everything was intact like it should be. What is causing the rattle is the pin for the vibrator motor inside, he then showed me 3 other iphone 5's that all rattled. So I guess it's a production line thing, some have it, some don't. Kinda sucks when you buy a phone out right at $700+ and its suppose to rattle. Oh well I'm glad it just works lol

I took mine into apple yesterday and this is what they told me. When he took it apart everything was intact like it should be. What is causing the rattle is the pin for the vibrator motor inside, he then showed me 3 other iphone 5's that all rattled. So I guess it's a production line thing, some have it, some don't. Kinda sucks when you buy a phone out right at $700+ and its suppose to rattle. Oh well I'm glad it just works lol
This explains much. Thanks a lot for the info. I knew I wasn't hearing things.

My Apple Store wasn't nearly as accommodating about the muffled sound in the earpiece though. They said they made a few test calls and it sounded "fine to them". They wouldn't replace it for me. That's pretty frustrating.

Many people have reported this, though I have found that it is a rattling power button on my iphone 5. I don't know if we are talking about the same thing or not, but hope that helps. I think it is just inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Many people have reported this, though I have found that it is a rattling power button on my iphone 5. I don't know if we are talking about the same thing or not, but hope that helps. I think it is just inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
The power button is immediately behind the camera. So our ears wouldn't be able to distinguish the power button location from the camera location. It's likely the same rattle.

I agree, do you think it is normal or should I take it to a genius!?

Same here, thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My iPhone 5 has a slight rattle: It's the Sleep/Wake button. If you touch it slightly when shaking the phone, the noise goes away. The button is contacting the obround opening in the case. Nothing to worry about. It's just normal design clearance so the button does not have friction from the case.

Same here...it's not the camera or balls rolling. Hit it in the head...as soon as I put light pressure on the sleep/wake button the rattle is gone!

so if i bring this to the apple store, i can get a new one? mine has a rattle. hrmmm.