What's new

Rattle noise from camera area

It happened on the 4 and 4s. Its the camers lens area that rattles. I don't know why

Thomasjtsi call apple care ask them before you tell me this should not happen I only tell what I know so don't leave me a message that you can't believe it till you call.

The only moving part in an iPhone are the lens grouping
Required if you want autofocus

Common on all iPhones past and present

So I took my iphone back to best buy let them hear the rattle noise. 2 reps heard it and they decided to replace it. Well after we went through the hour long ordeal, got ready to set up the new one, I asked to see it. Guess what it rattled too, by this time another rep was there and said its normal. He said it was the ball rolling inside to tell what way the phone is being held, for games and what not. I was pretty bummed to have just wasted an hour and half by now and then have to reset my phone up. Though that process is a lot easier than android or windows phones.

So I took my iphone back to best buy let them hear the rattle noise. 2 reps heard it and they decided to replace it. Well after we went through the hour long ordeal, got ready to set up the new one, I asked to see it. Guess what it rattled too, by this time another rep was there and said its normal. He said it was the ball rolling inside to tell what way the phone is being held, for games and what not. I was pretty bummed to have just wasted an hour and half by now and then have to reset my phone up. Though that process is a lot easier than android or windows phones.
well that's a new one on me.....a ball rolling inside?!? really??? just can't see it myself.

The Best Buy sales rep said "it's the ball rolling inside?!?" I'm sorry to be blunt... but the Best Buy rep is absolutely wrong. There are no "balls rolling" around inside your (or anyone's for that matter) iPhone!

The Best Buy sales rep said "it's the ball rolling inside?!?" I'm sorry to be blunt... but the Best Buy rep is absolutely wrong. There are no "balls rolling" around inside your (or anyone's for that matter) iPhone!
exactly!

That's what I was thinking so I'm gonna go to the apple store, where I should have went first lol. But now how does the phone know what way your holding it?

mach1man said:
That's what I was thinking so I'm gonna go to the apple store, where I should have went first lol. But now how does the phone know what way your holding it?

It contains an accelerometer and magnetometer, which are used to help determine the orientation of the phone.

scifan57 said:
It contains an accelerometer and magnetometer, which are used to help determine the orientation of the phone.

Could I be hearing the magnetometer ?

Ok thanks guess ill go to an apple store now

If the phone works perfect I wouldn't bother going to apple every iPhone I've seen has this slight rattle. When I first got my 4 it had this rattle took it back to the store and every one they had did this. I don't think it's a problem.

I dunno, I know people with i5's that don't rattle at all, but my i5 rattles, along with a few others that I work with. (my i4 never rattled at all). Kinda strange. Mine will be going back to see if I can get an i5 that doesn't fade the volume in and out while talking on the phone...That's my biggest issue. I can handle a rattle, but not being able to use the phone because the volume is so bad isn't a good thing.

My iPhone 5 has a slight rattle: It's the Sleep/Wake button. If you touch it slightly when shaking the phone, the noise goes away. The button is contacting the obround opening in the case. Nothing to worry about. It's just normal design clearance so the button does not have friction from the case.