What's new

IPhone 5 earpiece oscillation !

arsenalbates

Reaction score
I have had my iPhone 5 replaced 2 times and I am still having the same issue.

When talking to a specific tone of voice or an automated voice system such as voice mail I am getting an oscillation sound. When I tap the back of the phone I hear the rattle from the camera but it is quite loud (sounds very loose). I have as I said changed the phone 2 times and all handsets do it.

I think the camera lens rattle is rattling when on the phone and that's what i can hear through the earpiece.

Has anyone else got this issue at all ? or am I being to fussy. Its very distracting.

I have had my iPhone 5 replaced 2 times and I am still having the same issue.

When talking to a specific tone of voice or an automated voice system such as voice mail I am getting an oscillation sound. When I tap the back of the phone I hear the rattle from the camera but it is quite loud (sounds very loose). I have as I said changed the phone 2 times and all handsets do it.

I think the camera lens rattle is rattling when on the phone and that's what i can hear through the earpiece.

Has anyone else got this issue at all ? or am I being to fussy. Its very distracting.

I have listened to a lot of automated machines and have heard no distractions. Now that doesn't mean that I don't hear what you are hearing, if I do it's not distracting to me.

2 phones for real? I'm editing this I read it as 5 phones the first time. That would have been excessive.

Try to google the issue specific to iPhone 5 or search in Apples Forums for similar complaints. I'm not going to be judgemental by any means.

Last edited:
I know, it sounds crazy right !

Im just going from the audio quality of my old iPhone 4.

Sounds fine through earphones.

Its a hard noise to explain but the closest I can get is an oscillation. Like a small marble vibrating due to the bass of the voices.

Grr, its so annoying !

It must be me either being very picky or very unlucky however my mate who has a white iPhone also has the same issue from what I can hear.

I don't think it's the camera that you feel vibrating when you shake the phone. It's more likely the counterweight vibration mechanism which is now an actual little motor with a weight that vibrates. Changed from the electronic membrane vibration mechanism.

However this should not cause issues when speaking.

I'm going to go on a limb and suggest that it's more likely it's your carriers problem since it has not been widely reported. And both you and your mate have the same issue with multiple handsets.

wOw .. I just can't get over the clarity on mine compared to the Android phone, and previous other phones. I have Verizon. Who is your carrier?

Even on the speaker phone, it's crystal clear and no one has been able to tell that I had them on the speaker.

Last edited:
I thought it was the carrier but I have tested it through the earphones and it's fine Those.

I have had the issue also. I'm currently on Three...but never had it with my iPhone4...To me the build quality doesn't seem as solid :/ Keys are slightly loose also. I called up Apple, who advised I do a restore on the phone .... Problem is still there. A friend of mine can hear it on my phone too. However a few others can not. It's bearable when I'm out in public. However if I'm in a quiet environment ir bugs the hell outta me! :/ ....... I'm tempted to go in an apple store, but they'll probably say it's fine I can hear it... (i.e. they will test it in public environment no doubt!

I have had the issue also. I'm currently on Three...but never had it with my iPhone4...To me the build quality doesn't seem as solid :/ Keys are slightly loose also. I called up Apple, who advised I do a restore on the phone .... Problem is still there. A friend of mine can hear it on my phone too. However a few others can not. It's bearable when I'm out in public. However if I'm in a quiet environment ir bugs the hell outta me! :/ ....... I'm tempted to go in an apple store, but they'll probably say it's fine I can hear it... (i.e. they will test it in public environment no doubt!

I had the same problem got 2 replacements from apple as well and all the phones had the same noise during certain calls, I was using a 3 network sim and then tried an 02 sim and that the noise stopped, put the 3 sim back in and the noise is there. Got a new sim from 3 and the noise was still there. I was lucky to have to contracts and am using my 02 sim with no issues now. Not sure how this works but it seems certain carriers create this vibration in the ear piece on certain calls.

I had the same problem got 2 replacements from apple as well and all the phones had the same noise during certain calls, I was using a 3 network sim and then tried an 02 sim and that the noise stopped, put the 3 sim back in and the noise is there. Got a new sim from 3 and the noise was still there. I was lucky to have to contracts and am using my 02 sim with no issues now. Not sure how this works but it seems certain carriers create this vibration in the ear piece on certain calls.

Yup, I've been paying attention to my calls also since this thread, and notice noise now on my iPhone4 - similar issue to what is described here. It's the carrier most definitely. I would suggest that carriers are starting a mad scramble now to update to LTE and with some towers being upgraded they have cut capacity on GSM networks while it is badly needed.

I thought it may be 3 as that the only thing in common with the 3 handsets I have had. Its good to see that others are having the same issue and again it being on the three network. I have an o2 iphone 5 unopened and ready to use however they said to me that once i have put the sim in i cant return it.

Yup, I've been paying attention to my calls also since this thread, and notice noise now on my iPhone4 - similar issue to what is described here. It's the carrier most definitely. I would suggest that carriers are starting a mad scramble now to update to LTE and with some towers being upgraded they have cut capacity on GSM networks while it is badly needed.

Are you on Three ?

arsenalbates said:
Are you on Three ?

No. I am in Canada on Rogers. But I noticed the noise as described just recently during some calls. This just started happening very recently and I have not swapped phones yet so I know it's a network issue.

However I know the iPhone 5 (my wife's) has a physical vibration mechanism that does cause noise when you shake the phone and that is not this noise.

I see. A lot of people who are complaining about this in the uk find the self on the 3 network. It could be a network issue with the iPhone 5.

​Just to update everyone with this problem. I have now a iphone 5 that does not rattle. It was caused by the network three !.
Could still be hardware issue with apple however i have had 4 phones all make the vibration sound and now this 02 one doesnt.

So if you are getting a vibration sound when talking to certian people then it is 3 and not the iphone
happy.gif