What's new

Rattle noise from camera area

mach1man

Reaction score
So I've had my phone for about 2 weeks now and I keep hearing a rattle noise from the camera area when I sit it down. It's there almost every time I do or I can tap on it and make the rattle noise. Is this normal and if so why?

So I've had my phone for about 2 weeks now and I keep hearing a rattle noise from the camera area when I sit it down. It's there almost every time I do or I can tap on it and make the rattle noise. Is this normal and if so why?
nothing should be rattling,i suggest you pop it in to an Apple store or if you don't have one near you use your free 90 days phone support and give them a ring.

i had it with my first iphone 5, gave it back got a new one. seems like a production failure

Mine rattles and two of my co-workers rattle as well.

tim89 said:
i had it with my first iphone 5, gave it back got a new one. seems like a production failure

Voidths said:
Mine rattles and two of my co-workers rattle as well.

As recommended earlier in this thread, contact Apple about the problem. iPhone cameras are not supposed to rattle.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

To me it's not a rattle per se. It's just the movement of the autofocus lens. My old 4 did it my daughters 4 does it my old 4s did it and my 5 does it. I can only hear anything if I smack the phone kind of hard (I.e. tapping it trying to hear it)

Sent from my Nokia 6185 using Tapatalk.

Mine doesn't rattle!

Sent from my iPhone using the paid version of Tapatalk

Apple told me it completely normal it the camera lens said if it don't rattle you need to worry because your phone would have focusing problems

I can only reiterate......there should not be anything rattling on any iphone.

Apple told me it completely normal it the camera lens said if it don't rattle you need to worry because your phone would have focusing problems
I find it very hard to believe that Apple would tell you this. iPhone's don't have a manual focusing ring... it's an all digital focus and zoom. With that, there are no moving parts assosiated w/ the camera and/or it's lense. As Ivy said above... there's absolutely no reason why your iPhone should have a loose rattling noise!

At least it's not a thud. When I place my phone down on the table...I hear a very tiny rattle almost like a ring. I have also read it has something to do with the the mechanism that controls the silencer as well.

I have also read it has something to do with the the mechanism that controls the silencer as well.
From what I've experienced personally, and read about, the volume buttons have a tendency to rattle a little. This is present on my iPhone 5. However, I keep mine in a Speck case that has rubber over the volume buttons... thus placing a slight bit of pressure on them. The statement that I've made about the rattles shouldn't exist is still true... it just doesn't bother me because I know exactly what it is and it doesn't effect anything.

From what I've experienced personally, and read about, the volume buttons have a tendency to rattle a little. This is present on my iPhone 5. However, I keep mine in a Speck case that has rubber over the volume buttons... thus placing a slight bit of pressure on them. The statement that I've made about the rattles shouldn't exist is still true... it just doesn't bother me because I know exactly what it is and it doesn't effect anything.

I have a speck case also. I haven't tested the rattle by shaking it...nor would I want to, but there is just a small little something when I put it down. Phone works great though, no issues I have noticed!