What's new

Questions from New Iphone 6p Owner

lsedels

Reaction score
Longtime Android user who just bought my first IPhone. Please don't take offense at this post, perhaps I am not fully aware of all of the iphone or iOS capabilities and I have missed something - that is why I am here. But so far, I am disappointed in the iOS capabilities. To the point where I am considering a return of my new iPhone to go back to Android.

Can anyone address the following?

1. I've downloaded the Swype and iKeywi keyboards and set them up under Settings --> General --> Keyboards. Supposedly, iOS will use whichever keyboard you move to the top. iOS continues to use its native keyboard on many apps ... even when I moved iKeywi to the top and even when I deleted all keyboards except iKeywi. Anyone have any success with overriding the default keyboard? I am trying to find one where the numbers and some symbols appear on the first keyboard screen without having to shift it to another keyboard screen. Very cumbersome for typing.

2. I can find no way to set up widgets (or something similar) on the desktop to "speeddial" or "speedtext" a certain person who I commonly call in my contacts list. Also, is there any way to set up a desktop widget to contain the current time and temperature.

3. Is there any way to have separate notification tones for each email account, a separate notification tone for Facebook, a separate notification tone for texts, etc. From what I can tell, all apps must have the same notification tone. The tone I chose for my texts is being used for Facebook, for example. And the tone I chose for email acct #1 is being used for email acct #2.

4. Is there any way to switch from audible ring to vibrate using a screen or desktop function rather than having to toggle the switch on the side of the phone?

5. There seems to be a delay (of several minutes) from when an email is received on my email account until I receive a notification on my iphone. Not the case with Android. Any way to eliminate this?

6. Is there any way to download ring tones using Zedge without having to endure the cumbersome process of going through itunes?

7. In Google Maps on Android, I can use the "exit" key at the lower right part of the phone to go back one screen and be presented with the route options again for getting to my destination if I want to change my option while en route. It seems that there is no way to go back one screen on iOS. Only option seems to be going back to the Google Maps start screen and retyping in the destination and start point.

8. In Android, there is a separate app for Voice-mail ... which you can just click on to listen to your voicemails. In iOS, it appears you must tap on the "phone" icon to then tap on voicemail.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Isedels!

I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

1. To show the downloaded keyboard, tap the globe key on your keyboard. This will show you the available keyboards. Tap the one you intend to use:
image.jpg

This picture was taken on my iPad. It looks the same on the iPhone.

2. You can't set up widgets to show your favorite contacts. It's pssible to show them in App Switcher, though. Mark some of your contacts as favorites, then go to Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendar - Show in App Switcher:
image.jpg

Turn on Favorites there. When you double tap the Home button, they'll appear at the top of the screen:
image.jpg

3. To get different notification sounds for every email account, go to Settings - Notifications - Mail, if you use the built in Mail app. You'll find your accounts there:
image.jpg

Tap every single account separately and select a notification sound.
For Facebook, you can allow sounds, but it's not possible to select one of them.

Hope that helps.

I use Swype. When u go into keyboards in setting I deleted the default English UK one by hitting edit. Now I only have Swype and emoji on my list and no more problems with the default keyboard

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I use Swype. When u go into keyboards in setting I deleted the default English UK one by hitting edit. Now I only have Swype and emoji on my list and no more problems with the default keyboard

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Are you saying that even when entering the password to unlock your iPhone the stock keyboard does not appear? It's my understanding that Apple forces use of the stock keyboard for such tasks as entering passwords.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Isedels!

I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

1. To show the downloaded keyboard, tap the globe key on your keyboard. This will show you the available keyboards. Tap the one you intend to use:
View attachment 20065
This picture was taken on my iPad. It looks the same on the iPhone.

2. You can't set up widgets to show your favorite contacts. It's pssible to show them in App Switcher, though. Mark some of your contacts as favorites, then go to Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendar - Show in App Switcher:
View attachment 20066
Turn on Favorites there. When you double tap the Home button, they'll appear at the top of the screen:
View attachment 20068

3. To get different notification sounds for every email account, go to Settings - Notifications - Mail, if you use the built in Mail app. You'll find your accounts there:
View attachment 20069
Tap every single account separately and select a notification sound.
For Facebook, you can allow sounds, but it's not possible to select one of them.

Hope that helps.
Thank you!

In spite of my deleting other keyboards, the default Apple keyboard continues to show up at times, and it doesn't have a globe to switch it. Even if it did, it still shouldn't be showing up.

The suggestion on the contact favorites is very helpful, thank you.

On the notification sounds, it seems you can't select different sounds for different apps. I was able to set up a different notification sound for each email so thank you.

Are you saying that even when entering the password to unlock your iPhone the stock keyboard does not appear? It's my understanding that Apple forces use of the stock keyboard for such tasks as entering passwords.
Exactly. And that's part of the problem. My company forces at least one number in the password so you have to switch between keyboard faces to enter it.

Exactly. And that's part of the problem. My company forces at least one number in the password so you have to switch between keyboard faces to enter it.
Unfortunately there is no way to disable the stock keyboard for entering certain passwords, such as to unlock your iPhone. Is there a reason why you can't use the stock keyboard for entering passwords? The stock keyboard is capable of entering any password that can work on the iPhone.

Unfortunately there is no way to disable the stock keyboard for entering certain passwords, such as to unlock your iPhone. Is there a reason why you can't use the stock keyboard for entering passwords? The stock keyboard is capable of entering any password that can work on the iPhone.
Well, the problem is that you have to switch the keyboard to the numeric one and then back to completely enter the password. Android imposes no such restriction - they allow the use of a keyboard that has a row of numbers across the top.

Longtime Android user who just bought my first IPhone. Please don't take offense at this post, perhaps I am not fully aware of all of the iphone or iOS capabilities and I have missed something - that is why I am here. But so far, I am disappointed in the iOS capabilities. To the point where I am considering a return of my new iPhone to go back to Android.

Can anyone address the following?

1. I've downloaded the Swype and iKeywi keyboards and set them up under Settings --> General --> Keyboards. Supposedly, iOS will use whichever keyboard you move to the top. iOS continues to use its native keyboard on many apps ... even when I moved iKeywi to the top and even when I deleted all keyboards except iKeywi. Anyone have any success with overriding the default keyboard? I am trying to find one where the numbers and some symbols appear on the first keyboard screen without having to shift it to another keyboard screen. Very cumbersome for typing.

2. I can find no way to set up widgets (or something similar) on the desktop to "speeddial" or "speedtext" a certain person who I commonly call in my contacts list. Also, is there any way to set up a desktop widget to contain the current time and temperature.

3. Is there any way to have separate notification tones for each email account, a separate notification tone for Facebook, a separate notification tone for texts, etc. From what I can tell, all apps must have the same notification tone. The tone I chose for my texts is being used for Facebook, for example. And the tone I chose for email acct #1 is being used for email acct #2.

4. Is there any way to switch from audible ring to vibrate using a screen or desktop function rather than having to toggle the switch on the side of the phone?

5. There seems to be a delay (of several minutes) from when an email is received on my email account until I receive a notification on my iphone. Not the case with Android. Any way to eliminate this?

6. Is there any way to download ring tones using Zedge without having to endure the cumbersome process of going through itunes?

7. In Google Maps on Android, I can use the "exit" key at the lower right part of the phone to go back one screen and be presented with the route options again for getting to my destination if I want to change my option while en route. It seems that there is no way to go back one screen on iOS. Only option seems to be going back to the Google Maps start screen and retyping in the destination and start point.

8. In Android, there is a separate app for Voice-mail ... which you can just click on to listen to your voicemails. In iOS, it appears you must tap on the "phone" icon to then tap on voicemail.

Thanks in advance for your help.
7. Swipe screen from left to right to get previous screen. Or press carat (<) to go to previous view.
2. In Notification Center I have it set up to get date and temp under the today setting.

Also heck out an app called Launcher. I have some widgets thru that and all of them are shown in my notification today area. I think they might have changed how it works now so not sure this will help you get what you want.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 516
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 509
7. Swipe screen from left to right to get previous screen. Or press carat (<) to go to previous view.
2. In Notification Center I have it set up to get date and temp under the today setting.

Also heck out an app called Launcher. I have some widgets thru that and all of them are shown in my notification today area. I think they might have changed how it works now so not sure this will help you get what you want.
Thank you. Swiping screen from left to right moves the map from left to right and there is no carat. I did enable weatherbug in the notification center and will look into the Launcher app. Thanks!

Thank you. Swiping screen from left to right moves the map from left to right and there is no carat. I did enable weatherbug in the notification center and will look into the Launcher app. Thanks!
For some reason I was thinking of Safari and not Google maps. But I will also admit I am coming around to using Apple Maps more and Google less. It's an easier access on the iPhone and is slowly improving. I don't think I have ever felt the need to hit a back key in maps so can't suggest a method there. JA's app switcher suggestion may be a good one for you. GL

I have a couple problems with Swipe as it appears on iOS.

First, when a word is guessed, there does not appear to be a method of overriding it. Swipe will always choose its own term based on its closest approximation of what I meant. On the native keyboard, I can force it by simply tapping what I keyboard in rather than the highlit guess.

Second, I have experienced the keyboard simply not coming up. Mostly in iMessages, but once it occurs, I have to reboot in order to bring the keyboard up., as it will not activate in any app. I'm wondering if this is a subtle sabotage by Apple to discourage third-party keyboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

In spite of my deleting other keyboards, the default Apple keyboard continues to show up at times, and it doesn't have a globe to switch it. Even if it did, it still shouldn't be showing up.

The suggestion on the contact favorites is very helpful, thank you.

On the notification sounds, it seems you can't select different sounds for different apps. I was able to set up a different notification sound for each email so thank you.
You're welcome.

It's possible to enter numbers without needing to switch the keyboard constantly. Leave the keyboard with the letters. Then tap the number key (.?123), no matter if you choose the one on the left or right. Don't lift your finger, but slide to the number that you need to enter. When you're there, lift your finger. The ABC keyboard will appear again, and the number you need should be entered.

Hope that helps.