What's new

2 questions about new iphone 4S

donnyb

Reaction score
I have an iPad2, so am familiar with that part, but have a few questions about my new iPhone4S.
1) Is there a way to assign a unique ring tone to a person in my contacts?
2) How do I get my iPhone to ring or notify my on incoming emails?

BTW, I just bought this 2 days ago and it already upgraded to ios6.

Go into the address book, choose the contact you want to assign the unique ringtone to, select edit and scroll down to ringtone.

Hey LAminda, that worked. Thanks.
Anybody know if I can now get an alert when email arrives? It seems to only update when I open the email program.

What email account are you using? That will help determine how to help you set up the email and if you have to set it up uniquely for push email. Push email will forward the email to your phone instead of needing to open the mail app to fetch the email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure which email you mean? I have a Gmail account that I use on my desktop computer using Thunderbird and my iPhone uses the standard Apple email client

So you have your gmail set up to come to the default phone app? That's what I'm reading from your post.

If that is correct when you added the gmail account to the phone did you set it up as a gmail account or an exchange account?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set it to push to get instant new e mails and go into general settings, sound settings to choose your own choice of tone under the NEW MAIL setting.

Last edited:
I set the sound for new email and I set it to push new emails. There is also a setting to "fetch" new emails, but it says that the push will over-ride the fetch. When I set fetch to "every 15 minutes", it seems to work every 15 minutes, but the push does not over-ride the fetch. I either have something else set wrong (I have looked, but without success) or there is a glitch in the new IOS6.

I could never get this to work (notifying me of incoming emails, texts, and even some phone calls). I took my phone to the AT&T store and they said my settings were correct. I got tired of it not working, so I traded the iPhone in for the Galaxy S3 and could not be happier.

Same here and i'm lovin it. I love the customization and widget capabilities of the android OS more than the Iphone'

Go into the address book, choose the contact you want to assign the unique ringtone to, select edit and scroll down to ringtone.

This is what you need. Make sure that you check out some of the How-To-Guides on youtube. It always helps me to get visuals. Remember - Youtube is one of the biggest search engines online right now!

SJ2571 said:
So true! I never just "google something" anymore; it's often more helpful to just "youtube something" instead.

And since Google owns YouTube, what's good for YouTube is good for Google.