What's new

question about unlocking and updating the OS

Martaine

Reaction score
hi everyone!
my question is as follows:
given I jail break & unlock an iPhone 4 v 4.01, then update to v4.1
do i need to UNLOCK it again?

meaning - the phone was unlocked. i updated. i know it is not jailbroken anymore, but is it still unlocked or do i need to wait to the crack again?

thanks a lot in advace :)

lol thanks.
but will it remain unlocked when i upgrade to 4.2 or hell knows what other versions will be released?

what's the BaseBand exactly? what will not changing it mean in terms of call quality and such?

lol thanks.
but will it remain unlocked when i upgrade to 4.2 or hell knows what other versions will be released?

what's the BaseBand exactly? what will not changing it mean in terms of call quality and such?

if you rely on unlock and jailbreak then i would wait before doing either when there is a new firmware, apple release new firmware and when you update you lose both the jailbreak AND unlock and you will be left with a locked phone, so the baseband when upgraded closes holes of the jailbreak and unlock so you will be stuck with a locked phone until there is a new tool and until ultrasn0w can unlock the newer baseband so your phone then becomes usless and its normally a very long time until basebands are unlocked and other times very quickly, but its not worth taking the risk and upgrading. always read up about it and know its safe to do so. atm with 4.1 you have to upgrade in a way so your baseband does not update and it also unlocks that baseband so you can be on the newest firmware and be unlocked...

in terms of call quality there is no difference.

if oyu have 4.0.1 already unlocked, I would not jump to to 4.1 yet.

well you can update to 4.1 and keep the same baseband. but otherwise i would agree with this post, just wait for 4.2 and a few days after there will be unlock for the baseband and probably the 4.2 baseband will be the same as the 4.1, basically the hole used on the 4.1 unlock will work with the 4.2 since the 4.1 hole was not released to public

well you can update to 4.1 and keep the same baseband. but otherwise i would agree with this post, just wait for 4.2 and a few days after there will be unlock for the baseband and probably the 4.2 baseband will be the same as the 4.1, basically the hole used on the 4.1 unlock will work with the 4.2 since the 4.1 hole was not released to public

considering all the bugs on the 4.1 jailbreak, I would not update yet. Unlock is also not 100% tested in other countries. I am sure some features like mms, may not even work in every country.

considering all the bugs on the 4.1 jailbreak, I would not update yet. Unlock is also not 100% tested in other countries. I am sure some features like mms, may not even work in every country.

usually they are 100% tested before released, and sure they dont always work perfectly but my phone i dont jailbreak i dont use unlock and mms does not work any way, because i am in a country that has no official iphone carriers so the mms settings does not update..

but your right a lot of problems have come from the 4.1 jailbreak and features not working or unable to jailbreak and other problems which im sure i dont have to tell you about...

the unlock always works perfectly though. well that i know of, i never see problems coming from unlock.

usually they are 100% tested before released, and sure they dont always work perfectly but my phone i dont jailbreak i dont use unlock and mms does not work any way, because i am in a country that has no official iphone carriers so the mms settings does not update..

but your right a lot of problems have come from the 4.1 jailbreak and features not working or unable to jailbreak and other problems which im sure i dont have to tell you about...

the unlock always works perfectly though. well that i know of, i never see problems coming from unlock.

Well perhaps things have changed over time, about two years ago (back then i had 3G iphone. I went to Russia and guess what, I could not send sms, I was receiving them about 90% of the time, but I could not send the out.

that was more likely to do with you not adding the correct codes on the phone numbers to send texts...

hmm.. well if you say so.. weird problem to have, annoying one at that. i never use unlock so i wouldent know