What's new

Asking about factory unlocking and jailbreaking

bmahony

Reaction score
Asking this question before i jailbreak again.a couple of weeks ago i got my unlocking code from apple through vodafone and i unlocked it so is now factory unlocked to any network..what i want to ask is if i jailbreak again and something goes wrong and i must restore or update to 5.1 or a newer version will this do anything to the factory unlock.. I presume it will not do anything to the unlock..i want to keep the unlock..thanks in advance..?????I AM UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT A FACTORY UNLOCK IS FOR THE LIFE OF THE PHONE AND PERMANENT

Last edited:
Your assumption about the unlock is correct. Once unlocked through your carrier it is permanent and nothing will make you lose your unlock.

zig9449 said:
your assumption about the unlock is correct. Once unlocked through your carrier it is permanent and nothing will make you lose your unlock.

as i thought..thanks and going to j-break later on this evening..hopefully it will go ok

I presume as well that if I back up to 5.1 and do not update to 5.1.1 that if I run into any trouble with the jailbreak and have to restore will it go back to 5.1 or the newer version of 5.1.1???

They usually have a grace period for signing. With a patch like this it could be anywhere from a week to a month. I wouldn't push it much past 5 days to be safe.

It has been getting shorter with every update. I believe the 5.0.1 signing window closes only 24 hours after iOS 5.1 was released. I would shift click restore to 5.1 immediately if you need to restore.