What's new

Need help with JB and unlock for 3GS (5.11.07)

skip

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I received my iPhone 3GS as a gift and I would like to JB and unlock it. I have a few questions before I proceed with the process:

1. I plan to update the iOS to 4.3.3 only, since there has been reports about iOS 5.0.1 problems with 3GS. Would it still be possible to update to 4.3.3? I am now running at 3.1.2

2. Regarding the unlock, if in case I have successfully jailbroken my 3GS with 4.3.3, how can I unlock it? My current baseband is 5.11.07.

3. Is it recommended that I update it to iOS 5.0.1?

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

You can only restore older firmware if you have the SHSH saved, otherwise you will have to restore 5.1 which only has a tethered jailbreak currently. Luckily, your current baseband is unlockabld as-is so you won't have to worry about installing the iPad baseband, just make sure you NEVER restore a factory firmware file. If you don't have any SHSH on file for older firmware, I would suggest staying on 3.1.2 until a 5.1 untethered jailbreak is released. However, if you do wish to update to 5.1, just make sure you restore a custom 5.1 firmware made with Redsn0w to preserve your baseband.

You can only restore older firmware if you have the SHSH saved, otherwise you will have to restore 5.1 which only has a tethered jailbreak currently. Luckily, your current baseband is unlockabld as-is so you won't have to worry about installing the iPad baseband, just make sure you NEVER restore a factory firmware file. If you don't have any SHSH on file for older firmware, I would suggest staying on 3.1.2 until a 5.1 untethered jailbreak is released. However, if you do wish to update to 5.1, just make sure you restore a custom 5.1 firmware made with Redsn0w to preserve your baseband.

Thank you for the quick response. I guess I'll stick with my current iOS version for now and wait for the untethered JB for 5.1. Just to clarify, if I jailbreak my 3GS, it will automatically be unlocked with my current baseband, right? And can I use jailbreakme to jailbreak my 3GS with my current iOS version?

Thank you for the quick response. I guess I'll stick with my current iOS version for now and wait for the untethered JB for 5.1. Just to clarify, if I jailbreak my 3GS, it will automatically be unlocked with my current baseband, right? And can I use jailbreakme to jailbreak my 3GS with my current iOS version?

No, jailbreaking and unlocking are two separate processes. After you jailbreak you must install ultrasn0w through Cydia in order to unlock the phone.

And yes, 3.1.2 can be jailbroken with JailbreakMe.

No, jailbreaking and unlocking are two separate processes. After you jailbreak you must install ultrasn0w through Cydia in order to unlock the phone.

And yes, 3.1.2 can be jailbroken with JailbreakMe.

Thanks for all the help. I have successfully jailbroken my iPhone and unlocked it as well. Currently testing it. Much appreciated!

Hi again,

I'll just post my question here since it is still related to my 3GS. It is at 3.1.2(JB) and I want to upgrade to 5.1.1. I just want to know do I need to restore or go straight with JB using snowbreeze? And after the jailbreak does it still retain its unlocked state?

Appreciate any help. TIA.

Hi again,

I'll just post my question here since it is still related to my 3GS. It is at 3.1.2(JB) and I want to upgrade to 5.1.1. I just want to know do I need to restore or go straight with JB using snowbreeze? And after the jailbreak does it still retain its unlocked state?

Appreciate any help. TIA.

You should create a pre-jailbroken firmware with sn0wbreeze in order to preserve your baseband, once you've restored that you can reinstall Ultrasn0w to unlock again.

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently trying it right now. By the way, will my contacts be deleted once I move up to 5.1.1 via snowbreeze? If so, how can I save them? (iCloud does not count because my 3GS runs on iOS 3. :(

Yes, you will lose your contacts when you restore. You can sync them to Gmail and then sync them back from your Gmail account after you restore. I would not restore from backup since restoring a backup from that old of a firmware onto 5.1.1 would probably cause issues.

Thanks for that information. I'll be using the sync method some other time. For now, I continued the JB process via snowbreeze, created a custom IPSW and reloaded using the one snowbreeze created and I've run into some problems. First, the whole set-up thing regarding iOS 5 where it prompts you to insert a supported SIM. And when I do, I get an error message stating the my SIM is invalid. How can I install ultrasnow wherein I can't get past the setup page? Any suggestions?

TIA.

Last edited:
Found the cause of the problem. I forgot to click on the Hacktivate button just before the build IPSW. It is working perfectly fine now (including the unlock). :D :D Big thanks!