What's new

Problems with sharing the same apple account?

foothillfanatic

Reaction score
My wife and I both got new iPhones a week ago. This is our first experience with a smart phone. I set up both phones using the same Apple account. The problem is, when we send iMessages to each other, both her number and my number show up at the same time on each of our phones with the same message. Is this because we are both under the same account and synced under iCloud? Should she have her own Apple account, and would this solve the problem? Appreciate some help on this.

I saw Briffdog's question after I submitted mine. I think we have the same issue.

In your Settings app, under Messages, just make sure you both don't have the same contact information. My suggestion is to use your phone numbers as the main contact - and don't have the other's number. Also, if you use an e-mail address as an alternate contact, again, don't use the same one.

You can have the same AppleID. Just don't share the same contact info.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

What I did was basically create a his, hers, and ours accounts. The ours has our apple store and apps, etc. it is loaded as thesis icloud account on every idevice we have. Then put the his or hers on second. Then I can turn on or off whatever things we want to share or not share. Works great for us.

What I did was basically create a his, hers, and ours accounts. The ours has our apple store and apps, etc. it is loaded as thesis icloud account on every idevice we have. Then put the his or hers on second. Then I can turn on or off whatever things we want to share or not share. Works great for us.

This sounds like it could work for us. Not sure what is meant by "thesis iCloud" though. Just got the iPhones and am in the beginning stage of learning how to use them. Thanks.

Sorry I didn't check before I posted. The our account is loaded on all our idevices as the first account.

it won't bother a lot if you and your wife set two different accounts.