What's new

Cloud & Family Sharing

rws

Reaction score
My wife and I each have IPhones. At present I use the cloud to share contacts, calendars, and notes. She does not have an ICloud id. We just got some new IPhones and while I was able to Restore from my PC I think, from what I was told, that It would have been easier had I backed up the old phones to the cloud. If I set up an ICloud id/account for her will that screw up the sharing or can I pick and choose what to share between us. Be patient here as I am no IPhone/IOS guru. Does having an AppleID mean you have an ICloud account?
Tks,
Russ

An Apple ID can also be used as iCloud ID. An iCloud ID always IS and can also be used as an Apple ID. It's not necessary to use the Apple ID as iCloud ID and vice versa.

When she gets her own iCloud ID, contacts, calendars and notes will not sync through her iCloud account. To keep them syncing to her iPhone as well, set up the same email address on her iPhone in Settings - Mail, enable Notes, Contacts and Calendars.

OK, bear with ne here. On her Setting, Mail, Accounts, I would set up my ICloud account and enable those items? If after doing this will she then be able to also back up her phone to the cloud? Sorry to be a pest. Thanks for the help.

If you wish to back up her iPhone to your iCloud account, you'll have to set up your account in Settings - iCloud on her iPhone. If you add your iCloud ID in Settings - Mail, you just add the email account.

No, I want her phone to back up to her ICloud account and mine to my account. I do want to share the things mentioned above as I maintain those. See if I am understanding this.
If I set up an Icloud account for her I can then have ITunes back her up to the cloud.
In Mail, if I set up MY Icloud as an account I can select the items I want to sync from my ID.
Am I close??

The reason for all this is I had been backing up to my PC. When we bought the phones they told me how to Restore from BU to set the new ones up. Left our old ones at Apple Store. Came home, fired up ITunes, Restore, and get a msg saying "Corrupt BU". Holy crap! Took me a few anxious minutes to realize that the IOS version on the new phones was down level from the old phones. Finally was able to update and all went well. Moral of the story is that if I had done BU to Cloud they would have resolved all this at Apple Store.

Thanks again for your patience and assistance.

When you set up her own iCloud ID, her iPhone will backup to her iCloud account automatically, if you enable this on her iPhone. It will not backup to iTunes.
You can use these backups for restoring the iPhone.

Setting up your account on her iPhone in Mail will allow syncing contacts, emails, calendar events or notes, depending on your choice. That's right.

With separate iCloud accounts on your and your wife's iPhones, you can always use Family Sharing (Apps, Tunes, etc). You can also share your calendar by going to the Calendar App and adding your wife as the person you want to share with under Info for the relevant calendar.

Last edited:
In the future, if you have a laptop - be it Mac or PC - you can back up to it and take it with you to the Apple Store as well as having an iCloud backup.