What's new

Two iphones sharing same itunes account...

Smokinram

Reaction score
Hello all,
Well my wife and I are loving our iPhones but I have a few questions.
My wife already had an iTunes account for her iPod way before we had our iPhones. Because of this we both share the same account. We were told at the Verizon store that we can share apps this way.
Well where my concerns are is our contacts. We both used to use Verion Backup Assistant. Now the guy at the verizon store transferred our contacts to our iPhones. Well my wife has about 100 contacts and I have 500. My concern is how do I make certain we don't get our contacts mixes up or worse yet, loose some sharing the same iTunes account or do you suggest I setup my own account?
Thanks
Andy

I suggest creating your own apple id because whenever either one of you backs up it will overwrite the others backup.

My wife and I use the same iTunes account. During back up, I just untick the apps I dont want that the wife has downloaded. If she has music that I want on my phone I simply drag that song into my folder in iTunes.

Mexic0 said:
My wife and I use the same iTunes account. During back up, I just untick the apps I dont want that the wife has downloaded. If she has music that I want on my phone I simply drag that song into my folder in iTunes.

Yeah but if you backup before she does your 500 contacts can be replaced with her 100

iTunes backup are done by device Name/ID. They can't overwrite each other unless you do it on purpose. I have 4 devices backed up with no issues.

Skull One said:
iTunes backup are done by device Name/ID. They can't overwrite each other unless you do it on purpose. I have 4 devices backed up with no issues.

Ok. I was under a different impression. Lol. Thanks for setting me straight.

Thanks for the replies.

I am so new to this so I have to ask, can someone walk me through the procedure so I don't loose my contacts?

I love my iPhone4 but really liked Verizon Backup Assistant.

Thanks,
Andy

I use the My Contacts Backup app. It's just an app that emails your contacts to a desired email address. Just open the email with your iPhone and it will copy your contacts into your phone. Select the merge option to stop duplicate contacts.

I do it this way as I don't use the computer contact option.

does this still work the same with the new wifi syncing? for my wife and I it would strictly be apps, music, and photos / photostream

With the new iTunes, if set up to update when connected wifi you will automatically receive what the other person has bought and the photo's they have taken.

On another note, I changed my stock I look at on the stock market app that comes with the iPhone. Going through the wives phone it has changed hers to my set up. Has anyone else noticed this. I know the wife didn't change it.

Might have to change the "update when connected to wifi", to off.

Hmm, might just setup two different accounts then. We already have two computers to use - I just didn't want her to have to pay for apps I already paid for... not a huge deal though.