What's new

Problem after updating to iOS 5

Darren1

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue as me and knows what to do about it - I updated my iPhone 4 to the new iOS5 a couple of days ago, but now my phone will only always ring using the "Marimba" ring tone no matter who is calling or what my settings are. I have custom ringtones (made with Ringtone Designer app) that have always worked in the past and that still show up in my ringtones list, but no matter what I set up, the phone always rings with Marimba.

Anyone else know how to overcome this? Thanks.

Oh boy ... I figured it out and ... it's embarrassingly simple. Sorry, I guess sometimes just writing it out can trigger a solution in your head so ... thanks!

So, I had the same problem and came here for the answer - can you tell me?

For some reason every contact that I had ever set a "custom ringtone" for had reassigned themselves with the Marimba tone. For that reason it wouldn't make any difference what I set my default ringtone to, the custom ringtone in the contact info would trump it. I had to run through all the contact that had been reset and assign them to the default ringtone or whatever custom tone I wanted.

You're right, it's funny that it only took moments to figure that out after two days of aggravation and cursing the new iOS 5. Sorry Apple!