What's new

Printing From the Mobile

(LOL) scifan57, is that you?! Love the festive avatar! :D
Here’s a larger version.
949EFE58-B34B-4FB3-A206-E8B7AD9DC2DA.jpeg

I learnt not too long ago that I can print from my mobile, but my printer does not support this. As fate would have it, my wireless, laser printer has broken down. It is a Brother HL-2270DW. It must be about 5 years old now. It has been a very good printer for my needs, but I am not sure it is worth taking it to a shop for repair. The cost to look at it is $54.13 which would apply to the repair cost, but the labour to repair is $98 an hour. I could see how with labour and parts, it could cost as much or almost as much to repair it as it would cost for a new printer.

So, do you have any printer recommendations for me know that my mobile is the 8 Plus? I do not need anything super fancy, but I want something reliable and that prints well. I also prefer wireless. Thanks!

Check out Chrome cloud print. You can print from anywhere through Chrome. As long as you have your chrome browser turn on at your home computer.
Google Cloud Print

Thank you, engadiman. Everyone talks about clouds these days. I do use Google Chrome as my default browser. Still have not selected a printer yet, though. I keep getting bogged down with this and that.

My old Android ZTE phone, which is a backup phone with a very few minutes per month on it, started having problems dialling out recently, so I had to get a replacement for it. The provider automatically sends out a new phone. The new one is an Android Unimax or something like that. Looks like it is a bit of an upgrade from the ZTE, but it took me forever this afternoon to switch out the phones and get the new one set up. I am not sure yet, but I think I can also print from this Android phone, although I will not likely need to do. My 8 Plus is now my main phone.

I need to learn about several new things including "clouds," and something called DropBox, etc. I think if I could learn in a group, I would do better. I get confused reading about all this stuff alone. Thank goodness for this forum to help me!

If you have an HP printer with wireless capabilities, and it’s connected to your home wireless network,it’s possible to to use the HP ePrint facility which effectively gives your printer an email address so that you can email print jobs to the printer from anywhere.
Worth looking at if you want to print at home whilst away!

Thanks for that bit of info, Aerofly! The HP I am considering at the moment is the M29w. It is an all in one printer that can scan and photocopy. I am not sure about ePrint on it.

Most of these printers come with a CD for installing drivers. My MacBook Air does not have a CD drive in it. I do own the superdrive that I can plug into the USB port, but I cannot find it. I do not even recall the last time I used it. It must have been whence I bought the last printer, a Brother. I am also considering another Brother. The last one was a good printer, and I really liked that I had lifetime phone support on it. I do not believe HP offers phone support at all. Still, I have often thought how nice it would be to scan a lot of the paperwork in my file cabinet and store it on my MacBook, and although I do not have a need to photocopy too often, it would be nice to have that option at home. This HP model costs about $140 + tax.

HunnieBunnie, according to the HP website the HP Laserjet Pro MFP M29w is compatible with the HP ePrint facility. Here’s what they say on the site......
“For internet/cloud printing, this solution requires a free, one-time account registration with HP Connected to obtain the printer's email address.”

Check out their web page......
https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c03839843

Thank you for verifying that, Aerofly. I am leaning toward that printer and one other Brother at the moment. I dread making the final decision, though!

Thank you, so do I!

ETA: Well, I finally made a decision. I ordered a Brother all in one. I found it for an excellent price. It prints, scans, and copes, and it is compatible with Airprint, Google Cloud, etc., and it will have lifetime telephone tech support. I had to use that tech support a few times over the years with my last Brother printer, so I know it comes in very handy. One down side is the toner cartridge is $79, but with the great price I found on the printer, it balances out. I should have it by Monday. So relieved that this decision is over with!!! I was so sick of looking at and reading reviews of printers!!! o_O

Last edited:
P.S. It also has automatic duplex printing just like my last Brother printer. That is often very useful. :)

Good news!! I finally decided on a printer and got it set up. I decided to go with another Brother, the HL-L2395DW. I received it December 30th, but I have dreaded taking down the old one and setting up the new one, so it sat in its box until tonight. I needed to print something, and tech support is closed on the weekend, so I decided to attempt setting it up on my own. Happily, all went well, and I have printed my first page on it with no problems.

This is an exceedingly quiet printer, and it does not take up too much more room than my old Brother. It cost me roughly $20 or so more than my old printer, but in addition to printing, this one also photocopies and scans! After reading tons of reviews, I downloaded the drivers and manuals, etc., instead of attempting to use the CD that came with it. That went smoothly. Set up went very smoothly overall. I was worried about setting it up on WiFi, but all I had to do was specify I wanted to set it up for WiFi, specify use my computer (the other choice was a mobile), type in my password whence prompted, and the printer found my computer and my WiFi with no other assistance from me and set up everything, thank heavens!

The only thing I did not set up was the scanning function because set up wanted me to specify a folder where I wanted scans to go. I have no idea about that, but I can get tech support to help me get it done one day next week. I have only used the printer once so far, of course, but this was probably the easiest set up I have ever done, and so far I am very pleased with my choice of printer. I think this is an excellent printer for the price point. I just hope it lasts a while longer than my old Brother. This one goes into sleep mode after so many minutes of not being used, but I want to talk to tech support about keeping it turned off whence not used. I do not do much printing. Sometimes I will go days and even weeks without printing anything. My old printer was always in standby mode, and I cannot help but wonder if that was what partly killed it after about 7 years. I hope this one will have a longer life, and I think keeping it turned off if not in use might help me to do that. Still need to figure out how to print from the mobile, too, but that is not urgent.

Anyway, I am a very happy HunnieBunnie right now! :D

Good news!! I finally decided on a printer and got it set up. I decided to go with another Brother, the HL-L2395DW. I received it December 30th, but I have dreaded taking down the old one and setting up the new one, so it sat in its box until tonight. I needed to print something, and tech support is closed on the weekend, so I decided to attempt setting it up on my own. Happily, all went well, and I have printed my first page on it with no problems.

This is an exceedingly quiet printer, and it does not take up too much more room than my old Brother. It cost me roughly $20 or so more than my old printer, but in addition to printing, this one also photocopies and scans! After reading tons of reviews, I downloaded the drivers and manuals, etc., instead of attempting to use the CD that came with it. That went smoothly. Set up went very smoothly overall. I was worried about setting it up on WiFi, but all I had to do was specify I wanted to set it up for WiFi, specify use my computer (the other choice was a mobile), type in my password whence prompted, and the printer found my computer and my WiFi with no other assistance from me and set up everything, thank heavens!

The only thing I did not set up was the scanning function because set up wanted me to specify a folder where I wanted scans to go. I have no idea about that, but I can get tech support to help me get it done one day next week. I have only used the printer once so far, of course, but this was probably the easiest set up I have ever done, and so far I am very pleased with my choice of printer. I think this is an excellent printer for the price point. I just hope it lasts a while longer than my old Brother. This one goes into sleep mode after so many minutes of not being used, but I want to talk to tech support about keeping it turned off whence not used. I do not do much printing. Sometimes I will go days and even weeks without printing anything. My old printer was always in standby mode, and I cannot help but wonder if that was what partly killed it after about 7 years. I hope this one will have a longer life, and I think keeping it turned off if not in use might help me to do that. Still need to figure out how to print from the mobile, too, but that is not urgent.

Anyway, I am a very happy HunnieBunnie right now! :D
I have the same printer ... black and white only print which is what I need it for just printing shipping labels and other simple tasks .. hooked up to our house wifi for all of us to use .. I'm leaving mine in standby not shutting it off .. I can print from my Android phone and iPhone easily .. I noticed originally it would disconnect from Network so I had to re connect to my extender instead... No issues since ...

Sounds good, Bkdodger! I have left my printer in standby mode as well, mainly because I became distracted with many other things and never got back to setting it up. Thank you for reminding me. I still need to set up a folder for scans to go to after I have scanned something, which I have not yet done. Still have not made a photocopy, ether, but I look forward to doing that soon. Mine has had very little use thus far, but thus far I really like it and am happy with my choice, especially for the price point. As I recall, I paid around $110 + tax for it, and shipping was free. Very good value to price ratio on it so far. :)