What's new

Printing From the Mobile

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
I learnt not too long ago that I can print from my mobile, but my printer does not support this. As fate would have it, my wireless, laser printer has broken down. It is a Brother HL-2270DW. It must be about 5 years old now. It has been a very good printer for my needs, but I am not sure it is worth taking it to a shop for repair. The cost to look at it is $54.13 which would apply to the repair cost, but the labour to repair is $98 an hour. I could see how with labour and parts, it could cost as much or almost as much to repair it as it would cost for a new printer.

So, do you have any printer recommendations for me know that my mobile is the 8 Plus? I do not need anything super fancy, but I want something reliable and that prints well. I also prefer wireless. Thanks!

Go to Walmart and check out either an HP or an Epson printer. I believe they have both ink and laser jet types. I’ve used an HP ink type for a while and they work well with the mobile. Printing is a breeze. You can find ink on sale a lot of the time at Office Depot or even at Walmart. Or if you don’t want to mess with ink, look at a laser jet type. HP seems to have the mobile phone printing down pretty well from my experience with them. Used to be able to place my HP in the back of my work truck and print from the front. I would then just pull over and grab my printed document LOL! Point being it worked quite well.

Thanks, 933. I had an HP laser printer before this Brother. The HP was a good printer, but boy was it big and heavy. The Brother has a much smaller foot print, and it weighs a lot less. I guess I am going to have to read a lot of reviews and articles---something I dread---before I decide. Knowing what others like or dislike is very helpful. I have also had a couple of ink jet printers over the years. I loved having colour, but they were wasteful for me. Too often ink dried up because I did not use the printer a lot. Also, because of infrequent use, they would sometimes clog. The cartridges were rather expensive, too, so that was whence I finally bit the bullet and bought the HP laser jet. It was not wireless, though, so that was another big plus to the Brother.

I was looking at a few things on-line tonight, and it looks like all of them now allow you to print from your mobile. Most have faxes, scanners, etc., too. I am not fussed about that stuff. I want wireless, laser, small foot print, and light weight. A friend commented to me tonight that printers are dead cheap now. I am not sure about that, though! A few I have looked at on Amazon are a few hundred dollars. I would love to find something for under $200. Really, for $100-$125 would be even better. :)

Still loving your snazzy 11 Pro, 933? :)

Reactions: 933
The HP Printers all have AirPrint and they are not all huge. It is not worth fixing a printer. A new printer doesn’t cost all that much more than a color ink cartridge and they are having sales now.

I recently went to Brother myself .. just B&W laser don't need any color for my printing needs ... Plenty sales around for sure ..

I always read tons of reviews before I purchase anything. I saw one Brother model that looked pretty good, but a lot of the reviewers complained that they had nothing but headaches with the printer going into deep sleep. The printer does not have an on/off switch. The last model I bought, the DL-2270DW, was a good printer for me until it broke down. It has an on/off switch. I thought the sample toner included would run out very fast, so I purchased a toner cartridge at the same time. Sorry now that I did that because I adjusted the printing to economy, and the original toner lasted me almost the entire life of the printer. I only just put the back up toner cartridge in a couple of months ago, and now they tell me it will not fit any other printer.

These companies have a bit of a racket going with printers. Sometimes, you see the inkjets at phenomenally good prices (I do not want another inkjet ever), but the ink cartridges are very expensive and dry up fast if you do not use the printer quite often. I paid what was me a phenomenal price for an HP laser printer a few years ago. It was a good printer, but it was big and quite heavy. I like the compact size and lightweight of the Brother. I wish I could use my mobile to test some of them before I make a decision. I would like to know why, however, Brother, HP, etc., feel it is necessary to offer 1K different models?? It seems to me that having 5 or even 6 in a range would be enough to ensure everyone's needs are met.

Because they sell to people who run all kinds of businesses and others whose needs are not the same as yours. Best friend and I both have HP printers, both will do the same basic things so when I stay long term with her, I air print with no issues as if I was at home. But her machine does things I have no need for as she has business needs. If they weren’t able to sell the variety of models they have, they would pare it down so obviously, there is a need you are not aware of.

Yes, I suppose that is true. Which HP printer do you own, bear7962? I am currently looking at the HP LaserJet Pro M15w.

I have had mine for at least 10 yrs, I bet. It’s a Deskjet, 910 I think. Since I retired, I don’t have as much to print. I replace the black ink part of the print cartridge about once a year, when I do my taxes. It’s simple to use and also scans, makes copies, and prints photos. I don’t need more.

Ten years is a long time! I am like you, though. I do not print a lot, and any time I need photocopies, I go to a shop or to the library. Still, I would not mind having a machine that photocopies and scans. Brother has an all in one that does all of those things for about $100. I keep reading reviews, but I have yet to come across any printer or all in one that has much better than 60 positive reviews, and some of the negative reviews I have read really give me pause for thought! I do not enjoy shopping for electronics. I would rather shop for antiques. :D