What's new

Potential iPhone User Here...Need Advice Please!!!

MrBenchMark

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The other day I purchased a Droid X from Verizon. After playing around with it for a few hours and not really knowing what I was doing, I became disenchanted with it. Prior to making this purchase, I owned a Blackberry Storm for two years and was content with it. Upon playing around with the 'X' for a few hours, I returned to the store with the intention of getting the iPhone 4 instead. The rep at the store told me to go ahead and keep the 'X' for at least the 14 day period to get used to it before I made a decision to return it. So, that's what I did. One of the reasons I returned it was due to the fact I couldn't assign a customized text message ring tone to an individual and had to use what the 'X' had to offer, and even when I did that, the ring tone I picked couldn't be assigned to anyone specific, it was assigned to text messages in general. In other words, when I received a text message, I would hear the same ring tone no matter who sent it. Now, since I've used the 'X' for a day now and had gotten on the Droid X forum, I found how I could download this app called 'Handcent' that would allow me to do what I could do with the BB Storm that initially I couldn't do with the 'X'. Now, everything's great regarding the SMS. Now, my question is, with the iPhone can you use custom ring tones (mp3's) and assign them to a specific individual for SMS, and if not is there an app that will allow you to change that?

Another thing I'm thinking about changing to an iPhone is due to the fact I own an iMac 21.5" all in one computer. I owned a PC up until August of last year when I decided I wanted to try a Macintosh, and I'm glad I did. So the reason is I know how well Apple products (iPad, iPhone, iMac, etc) integrate with each other (syncing, iTunes, contacts, email, etc). Am I on the right path here?

Next is, when text messaging, can you read your text messages in landscape too, or just in portrait?

Are you able to dictate who can get through to you whether it be a phone call, SMS, or MMS when your phone is in silent mode?

I can't think of anymore questions at the time but I know I have some. There's only one I can think of immediately and it is, is an iPhone 5 coming out and if so, when and should I just wait?

Thanks ahead of time for any answers, advice, and input! I just need to be informed from some consumers...

hello and welcome to the forum!

you can assign ringtones to different people though you cant just select a mp3 and use it as a ringtone or sms tone, you have to sit there converting songs or pay to download them and sync them, which imo is stupid and you should just be able to select a mp3 but it does not take long to convert the songs, also they have to be under 30 seconds, again stupid and even though you never take longer then 10 seconds to answer the phone why do i have to sit there cutting down the files to 30 seconds?

you are on the right path with the imac and apple computers...

text messages can be read in both landscape and portate mode

i would wait for the iphone 5, every iphone gets announced in june (this year on the 6th) and then released first few weeks of july. but there are rumours of delays this year, i dont know why but i am not going to be quick to sy its a lie because last few times when i said a rumour was a lie they turned out to be true lol

Are you able to dictate who can get through to you whether it be a phone call, SMS, or MMS when your phone is in silent mode?

that one i cant answer but i am sure some one else here will be able to

you can assign ringtones to different people though you cant just select a mp3 and use it as a ringtone or sms tone, you have to sit there converting songs or pay to download them and sync them, which imo is stupid and you should just be able to select a mp3 but it does not take long to convert the songs, also they have to be under 30 seconds, again stupid and even though you never take longer then 10 seconds to answer the phone why do i have to sit there cutting down the files to 30 seconds?

So, are you saying you CAN use a customized mp3 that either you purchased or created yourself (provided it is 30 seconds or less) and assign it to a contact for either phone calls or SMS's?

What format must these ringtones be converted to and how does that work with iTunes?

So, are you saying you CAN use a customized mp3 that either you purchased or created yourself (provided it is 30 seconds or less) and assign it to a contact for either phone calls or SMS's?
Yes, you can use a customized mp3 as ringtone. To use/change the SMS-tone you need to jailbreak your device. It´s a bit harder to change the SMS, but it can be done.

thank you , you beat me to it. also the format is (.m4r) but you cant officially change sms tone unless you jailbreak then you can add sms tones and add ringtones as long as you want instead of 30 seconds

Originally Posted by Unleashed

if use mp3 it take long time
better sms tone it can make simple to we remember it
and some mp3 it take until 30 to begin the song..