What's new

Phone stolen, question about Icloud

rockin21

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long story short, phone was stolen. I know who took it and believe they are doing shady things with the iphone. I notified the police and things are being worked on. However, my question is slightly different.

I am curious if going onto my Icloud and selecting "Track my phone" will alert the perp to me knowing about it. Simply stated, will selecting "Track my phone" on the Icloud service AUTOMATICALLY alert the theif or will it just simply track the phone until I hit wipe data, send message, make noise or lock phone?

Hope I am being clear, I do NOT want to notify the thief that I know where the phone is, I am just nervous that hitting the "Track my phone" button on the Icloud will Alert him instantly. I do not want him to be aware of my tracking of my phone.

Thanks for any help!

I just tried it with mine to check. It took about 10 seconds to do the location. The phone was on, but in standby. There was no indication from the phone that Find My iPhone had been used. I then turned the phone completely on and there was no indication of anything in the display.