What's new

iCloud and Apple ID on 2 phones!

EWyatt

Reaction score
OK, a rookie iCloud question. Unfortunately, I signed up both of my family's iPhones to the same Apple ID, including iCloud. Evidently, having 2 devices with the same Apple ID in iCloud is a big no-no. My question: can I simply change my Apple ID for iCloud on only one of my phones? If yes, how is that done without messing up our App Store ID so we can continue to get apps using the same ID? Thanks!

Note: more iCloud questions to come later.....!

OK, a rookie iCloud question. Unfortunately, I signed up both of my family's iPhones to the same Apple ID, including iCloud. Evidently, having 2 devices with the same Apple ID in iCloud is a big no-no. My question: can I simply change my Apple ID for iCloud on only one of my phones? If yes, how is that done without messing up our App Store ID so we can continue to get apps using the same ID? Thanks!

Note: more iCloud questions to come later.....!

I just had two iPads with the same Apple ID. In iTunes I went to preferences and deleted my iPad 2.

I would think you would erase the phone and register it with another ID.

What was the issue with iClouds that caused a problem? It didn't seem like a major issue having 2 iPads, but then again I don't use the Cloud. I did have to register for the Cloud with my Apple ID so that would have put me in the same situation you are in.

I think.

I had my husband and myself set up through just my email. Through his phone I was able to assign a new email for iCloud and IMessage but keep his App Store under my email. It's all under settings.

~iPhoneMommy~

Sent from my Black, 16GB, iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

I am curious why it was a big no no. I have two phones and an iPad on the same one with no issues. And one of the phones and iPad have the same message and FaceTime settings. All of them are backed up iCloud too.

I am curious why it was a big no no. I have two phones and an iPad on the same one with no issues. And one of the phones and iPad have the same message and FaceTime settings. All of them are backed up iCloud too.

The reason I "think" I have a problem with 2 iPhones having the same iCloud ID is that: when I download an app for my phone, my wife gets it also (this happened yesterday when I downloaded Carmegeddon on my phone only). Also, when I use "find my iPhone" on my PC, it shows BOTH our phone locations (not a big deal). Also, we now both share only 5GB instead of 5GB each, and finally it seems when we each do an iCloud backup, ALL our data is thrown into the same pot.
I'm assuming that if I DELETE my iCloud account altogether, then create a new account (using another email address as my iCloud ID, that this will solve the above issues, right? And this will also keep our App Store Apple ID untouched. Is all that correct? Thanks, and sorry for the questions. This kind of info is not easily gotten from the Apple web sites.

Yes it will fix it. That is what we had to do with my phone and my husband's phone!

~iPhoneMommy~

With the app issue my husband had his set in iTunes to automatically download new apps so he gets everything I download LoL

~iPhoneMommy~

The reason I "think" I have a problem with 2 iPhones having the same iCloud ID is that: when I download an app for my phone, my wife gets it also (this happened yesterday when I downloaded Carmegeddon on my phone only). Also, when I use "find my iPhone" on my PC, it shows BOTH our phone locations (not a big deal). Also, we now both share only 5GB instead of 5GB each, and finally it seems when we each do an iCloud backup, ALL our data is thrown into the same pot.
I'm assuming that if I DELETE my iCloud account altogether, then create a new account (using another email address as my iCloud ID, that this will solve the above issues, right? And this will also keep our App Store Apple ID untouched. Is all that correct? Thanks, and sorry for the questions. This kind of info is not easily gotten from the Apple web sites.

Ewyatt--I don't know if you have done this yet, but you can turn turn off the automatic downloads on your wife's iPhone. By doing that, you can download your game without worrying that your wife will get it too.

Go to settings>iTunes & App Store>automatic downloads.

There, you can turn off music, apps and books from downloading to all devices that share the same apple Id.

Thanks Skimon... and iPhoneMommy.... Good info, which I will follow up on. As you can see, I'm being very careful (and paranoid) with my iPhone settings to ensure I don't brick our two units. Aside: I may have had better luck with an Android smartphone, but the iPhone, even with its #@!* quirks, just plays better, most of the time.
Thanks again.

Afternote to Skimonkey: my wife's iPhone DID have the auto downloads enabled, which I disabled per your advice. xoxo...

There are several ways to set up your phones and we all have to figure what works for ourselves. Having the same iCloud works for us but I understand it may not for everyone. Glad you got a method that works for you.

My wife and I have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads along with a Mac. We have 3 Apple IDs. Hers, mine and ours. The one we share is of course on all the devices and is the one the Mac mainly runs. That ID is used to sync calenders, reminders, and other things such as mutual contacts. And until recently photostream. But now we can have our own photostreama and just share what we want. Another benefit is the apps. Buy an app on the shared ID and it goes free to all the other devices. It's very easy to switch back and forth when needed.

Billybaldin said:
My wife and I have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads along with a Mac. We have 3 Apple IDs. Hers, mine and ours. The one we share is of course on all the devices and is the one the Mac mainly runs. That ID is used to sync calenders, reminders, and other things such as mutual contacts. And until recently photostream. But now we can have our own photostreama and just share what we want. Another benefit is the apps. Buy an app on the shared ID and it goes free to all the other devices. It's very easy to switch back and forth when needed.

That is exactly how we have it set up.