What's new

Phone shows LTE , but still connected to WiFi?

keithm77

Reaction score
Anybody ever have the WiFi on there iPhone 8 just disconnect and show LTE instead? Even though when I go into settings it still says connected to my router and WiFi is on. but only lte shows up. I’m sitting next to my router when this happens. And it’s not just at home. It happens at work and my gym as well. If I turn off WiFi and back on , it reconnects fine. Any suggestions? Thanks.

When, it happens, before you fix the problem, check the strength of you WiFi signal. If it becomes weak, the iPhone will switch to LTE u til it gets a stronger WIFI signal.

When, it happens, before you fix the problem, check the strength of you WiFi signal. If it becomes weak, the iPhone will switch to LTE u til it gets a stronger WIFI signal.

Thanks. That was it.

According to Apple (at least on the iPhone 5) the device will chose the faster connection. So, if your Wifi connection isn't as fast as your LTE, the device will show and use LTE instead of your Wifi (even though you are connected). If this is the case (that your LTE is faster than your Wifi) I would look into what is going on with your Wifi connection because it should be quite a bit faster than LTE (generally). Hope this helps.

Na, definitely not true. My LTE at work is 20x faster than my work wifi (literally), but my phone will stay connected to wifi and use wifi over LTE until wifi signal becomes weak.