What's new

is this iPhone6 bug with Personal hotspot

junkie909

Reaction score
After receiving calls from my data provider of over usage of more than 3gb within 1 hour even though I was not even using iPhone , instead I was using internet on my personal computer which was connected to my home internet connection ( bell) via home wifi router . The data usage stats on iphone showed that personal hotspot has used all the 4.5gb of data. And this incident has occurred 2 days in a row now....

Here is what I think is happening with my iPhone6 data usage problem.

When I am at home , my Iphone6 automatically connects to my hone internet ( e,g bell) via wifi .because wifi settings is enabled on my iphone and my home internet is a know network for iPhone ...

And When I leave my personal hotspot enabled on iPhone then my Iphone acts like a router meaning whenever i am using internet on my home computer even though my home computer shows it is connected to my home bell internet via home router but it still uses my iphone cellular data( telus) .because my iphone is also connected to same internet via wifi .

The above is the only explanation I can come up with what is happening . I used the above settings with Iphone4 iOS5 for years but this problem never happened. So either this is a feature of iphone6/iOS8 or a bug.

The million dollar question here is that how dare the home computer able to use iPhone data when NO personal hotspot password ever has been entered on the computer and never any attempt been made to connect to Iphone from my home computer.

With all the above situation , the automatically connecting feature of iphone for known wifi connection is dangerous .... Apple must comeup with the feature to give the option in settings so that it can also be set as "always prompt for the password" for known wifi networks.

Wouldn't the simple thing to do be to turn off your personal hotspot on your phone when you're not using or needing it? This would stop the cellular data use before it ever gets started.

yes that's right but when I am outside home I use personal hotspot and sometimes it is likely that i will forget to disable it when coming back to home.
with iPhone4 i never had to worry about thiis

personal hotspot supposed to be secured and cannot be used without its password as claimed by Apple on their website

Last edited:
This could be the reason for your data usage:
  • When Personal Hotspot is on, your iOS device automatically shares your Internet connection with your computer when you connect using USB. For example, when you connect your iPhone to your computer to charge or sync with iTunes. To avoid unnecessary data charges, turn off Personal Hotspot when it isn't in use.
(Apple Support)

Yes, the hotspot is indeed secured by a password but your devices automatically remember the password when connecting in the future after entering the password the first time. I've developed the habit of always turning off my personal hotspot whenever I'm not using it.

Yes, the hotspot is indeed secured by a password but your devices automatically remember the password when connecting in the future after entering the password the first time. I've developed the habit of always turning off my personal hotspot whenever I'm not using it.

I also thought about it but In my case as I mentioned in my post I never ever entered the password to connect to hotspot . But Still to remove my doubt I change the password for the hotspot and the data usage still occured.

This could be the reason for your data usage:
  • When Personal Hotspot is on, your iOS device automatically shares your Internet connection with your computer when you connect using USB. For example, when you connect your iPhone to your computer to charge or sync with iTunes. To avoid unnecessary data charges, turn off Personal Hotspot when it isn't in use.
(Apple Support)

yes sir , thats right . You solved my problem . Thanks !!!!!

Every time the overusage occured , my phone was connected to computer for charging via usb.( but please note that itune was not running ) , but I do was surfing internet on the computer at that time.

But how can apple allow this feature , I can't believe. World biggest company is allowing such a stupid feature on their main product.

This can only happen because Steve Jobs is not there.

Apple must stop these aututomatic features on their iPhones to screw up their customers data usage.( or at least allow to disable these features if needed)

I am so pissed off that being the fan of Apple for long time I am now seriously considering switching to Samsung....

Last edited:
The only way to stop the data usage is the way that's been mentioned several times, turn off the personal hotspot feature. BTW, the personal hotspot feature was added to iPhones while Steve Jobs was still alive and the way it worked then is the way it still works.

Last edited:
The only way to stop the data usage is the way that's been mentioned several times, turn off the personal hotspot feature. BTW, the personal hotspot feature was added to iPhones while Steve Jobs was still alive and the way it worked then is the way it still works.

The feature of automatic tethering without requiring a hotspot password when connected with usb is a feature which was not there before .... I was using iphone4 with ios 5 for 3 years and never had this issue....

Search "How to Activate Internet Tethering on the iPhone" and some old articles will comeup on wiki that says that you need special software to do the tethering with usb .... such as MOFI3500-3GN......... BUT NOT ANYMORE .....

Not quite right.

A search for the time when USB tethering was available for iPhone, also provides articles from 2010. All you needed at that time, was the iPhone, a PC with iTunes installed and the USB cable (or Bluetooth). And there also was this advice from April 2011:
image.jpg

ee. co. uk

Trey reading this article, it explains instant hotspot. Apple - iOS 8 - Continuity

This is the only explanation I found that resembles what you're experiencing, with two exceptions; it will only tether to your iPhone if you manually activate the tethering feature and it doesn't use USB. It doesn't require its own password but both the computer and the iPhone have to be signed into the same iCloud account.

Last edited:
The feature of automatic tethering without requiring a hotspot password when connected with usb is a feature which was not there before .... I was using iphone4 with ios 5 for 3 years and never had this issue....

Search "How to Activate Internet Tethering on the iPhone" and some old articles will comeup on wiki that says that you need special software to do the tethering with usb .... such as MOFI3500-3GN......... BUT NOT ANYMORE .....
This is how it's been since. IOS 6 and Steve Jobs was most definitely around for that. I might be wrong but at the time my thought was that adding this usage was due to customer demand.