What's new

Iphone 4 Wifi only stays connected when stood next to router.

luked89

Reaction score
So, I've had my iPhone 4 for like 2-3 weeks now. It was working fine all up until last night, and still now. I always sit in my room with my iPhone. Nothing has changed. But for some reason, all of a sudden, I can't get any wifi signal in my room anymore. Or even the bathroom (closer to the router).

It's so temperamental as well. Sometimes it just can't find my router at all. Sometimes it connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects. Sometimes it will connect, and then soon after it will disconnect. Sometimes it will connect, and stay connected until I, say, try loading a video, or open meebo. It only stays connected if I sit right next to my router.

I've been all over the web looking for answers and tried everything. I've done all the resets on the phone. I've reset the router. I've removed all security from my router. I've changed the wifi channels. I've rebooted everything. I unplugged my cordless phones. Turned off all my other devices. You name it, I've tried it.

Again, if anyone missed it, my iPhone only stays connected to wifi If I sit right next to the router.

I checked my router logs, and I'm getting mac address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication

I have a dlink dir 625

My dad has an iphone 3. That works fine. I have a 4. Like I said, It was fine all up until last night.

So I duno what's going on here. Any ideas?

I have a ipod touch and it does that. Try setting general reset reset network settings.

Oh shut up. I was only bumping and making a snide comment. :p Thank you very much for the link.

Last edited:
You're welcome...I think. ;) For what it's worth...my wifi signal stinks since the new iOS, but I'm not going to update yet. I'm keeping a close watch on forums to see what the latest is before I do it. I'm hoping something is in the works and will be out soon.

Always 1st option is turn router off, wait 30 seconds turn back on, also hard re-boot your phone.

Next if no luck, It is possible another dwelling has set up WiFi on the same or next to channel, try changing WiFi channel from say 11 to 16 in the router settings.

Report back, as there are other 'tricks' to try - but keep it respectful if you want informed free answers!

Downgrade back to earlier version using shsh blog "problem solved" 😉

Have you tried connecting to someone else's router?
Does the same problem occur?
Does you fathers iPhone 3 work in places that your iPhone doesn't?
Have you performed a restore of your iPhone using iTunes?

Routers have a tendency to burn out if it's a lower quality generic model. Because they are always on. I upgraded mine and I haven't had a problem. I realized when I could connect to everyone's but mine.