What's new

Phone in restore mode, can anyone help me please?

Claire1611

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought an iphone 6 at the weekend, backed everything on my iPhone 4s up to iCloud. Restored it on to my new phone and only 34 of my pics went across, everything else worked - mail, messages, contacts, note etc. but the 1036 pics did not go over.

My iPhone 4s was still on iOS 6 so I tried to update I through iTunes, thinking that could be why it didn't back up correctly. Plugged it in, started to update and half way through it crashed. Switched the phone off, restarted computer and tried again, same thing happened. Half way through it crashed. My phone has now gone in to recovery mode (just shows iTunes logo and an arrow) now when I plug it in to my computer it doesn't recognise that a phone has been plugged in. Had a look in device manager (on windows 7) and it just shows as Apple device (in recovery mode)

I have spoken to Apple who state I will need to do a full restore and will lose all of my pictures, does anyone know if there is a way round this? I am desperate not to lose all of my pictures! I have checked and double checked that they are not backed up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Claire

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums!

When you see the iPhone in the device manager, does Windows allow to open it and look at it's content?

Not lookin at my computer at the minute but when I right clicked on it, it said properties I think. Couldn't do anything with it at all.

Not lookin at my computer at the minute but when I right clicked on it, it said properties I think. Couldn't do anything with it at all.
I thought of double clicking it.

Maybe resetting it will help.

To reset: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both. The iPhone will power up on it's own.

Last edited:
Here's something else you could try to get it out of recovery mode:

Connect your iPhone to the computer, using the USB cable. Now press Home and Power button (like resetting), and don't let go until you see the Apple logo. The "Connect to iTunes" screen should disappear, it might show a black screen for several seconds. When you see the Apple logo, let go of both buttons. Let the cable connected until your iPhone powers up and shows the lockscreen.
If this happens, it's out of recovery mode.

Otherwise your pictures will be lost, I'm afraid.