What's new

Personal hot spot problem? Bug?

Lennywc

Reaction score
I noticed that the personal hotspot is always searching even when you switch it off , that is don't want to use it. When ever I go to it is busy in the search mode . This appears to be a bug. The personal hot spot seems to be using the Bluetooth so this is sucking battery juice .
Can any body help with this? Know anything about i?

Last edited:
If you turn your personal hotspot off under settings, it's off, it's your wifi that is always searching also when on.

I've also had this problem, and it's definitely not wi-fi etc. I have wi-fi turned off, and I've never enabled the hotspot, either on-phone, or thru carrier, yet sometimes it is spinning (searching?) without stop, clicking it won't even stop it, and sometimes it just spins for a second then goes straight to "set up hotspot..." 3G on or off makes no difference. I have a 3GS running 4.3.3. When hotspot is spinning, browser is incredibly slow, to the point of 'server failed to respond in time' I've had several hacker issues lately, with PC's, iPod touch, etc,making me wonder if this hotspot issue is more hacker trouble. I'm also being billed for more data use than is actually logged on my phone. Obviously, people have figured out how to hack their own hotspot to use without paying carrier fees, are there any reports of outside hacker use, or theft of hotspot capabilities? Any patch or security updates? If I reset my network settings, I can usually get about 6 hours before it goes active again, length of time for hacker to locate and re-connect???

......I've been called paranoid before....then they released security patches and new anti-virus definitions....

Ur defiantly paranoid. It did the circle search on mine. Never had a problem with hackers or battery. I always shut my wifi off Bluetooth off and locations. I also turned of my hotspot for about a day and now when turn it off theirs no search circle. I have unlimited data plan so never looked to see If im using more data then normal. Doubt it. Chillax a bit.

same issue here with 4s on verizon. if i have wifi on/off and 3g on/off the personal hotspot looks as though it's searching. it never stops searching.

My VerizonWireless iPhone 4S has the same problem -- I go to my settings and regularly see that the personal hotspot section is actively searching despite the fact I have never signed up for it and only my basic cellular and data are on. I also suspect this is sucking up my battery and causing the bizarrely fast discharge of my battery. Often when I've done nothing on my phone and had it on airplane mode it shows % usage down noticeably. It seems like these issues were not present when I first got my phone and wonder if an OS update initiated this. I have found no entries acknowledging that this is a problem and indicating what needs to be done to correct this.