What's new

Phone as a hot spot

jlb27537

Reaction score
Hello, I know so little, I hardly know to ask a question, but here goes.

Never had a smartfone or one with a camera. I use Verizon air card with a CradlePoint router for internet. I understand the Iphone will act as a hot spot for 5 devices. I have 2 laptops and a printer on my router now.

If I get a phone, cancel my air card, can it be used like my air card and router? I would assume it would just be set in it's charging cradle.

If I am using it as a hotspot, and I get a phone call, can I just pick up the phone and answer it, and stay on the internet? Can I get a phone call when using it as a hotspot? When in hotspot mode it can not receive a phone call?

My contract on my Verizon air card and T-Mobile fone are up and am considering dropping both and getting one device.

Thanks for the feedback. Jim

I believe that you could with ATT, but not sure with Verizon. With ATT you will need the 4Gig plan in order to use your iPhone as a hot spot.

Only with AT&T can you do both, you don't need 4G to use as a hotspot works just fine on 3G.

Correction,

Mis read ramnj reply, u need a 4 gig plan not 4G service, my bad.

OK, lets say I am using it as a hot spot, will it ring if a call comes in?

Thanks Jim

I believe the data stream will continue with AT&T.

The data stream continues with AT&T only, as far as apps, jailbreaks are only ones I know. Pdanet and MyWi

OK, Went to both ATT and Verizon stores today.

Phone as a hot spot.

ATT, need to have the $45 4GB Data plan (phone/hot spot) in addition to the talk plan of your choice, Plus $20 text plan or $.20 each text. If the phone rings, pick it up and talk, you stay connected to the internet. Range about 75-90' as a hot spot.

Verizon, Need to have the $29 Data plan, plus a $20 hot spot plan (2 GB max), plus a voice plan, plus a text plan. If the phone rings, it cuts off the internet connection and becomes a phone, then you have to re-connect to the internet. The unlimited data is for the phone only. When used as a hot spot there is only one plan and that is 2GB for $20.

At the Verizon store, after telling the salesman I had a Verizon air card, 5GB, $60, and a T-Mobile 1000 minutes for $39. And was wanting to combine all the plans into one, he said I was better off with what I have, unless I just needed the ability to have a phone with the capabilities of a Iphone. He recommended that if I did get a new phone, go with a Iphone. The fact that a phone call disconnects the hot spot is a killer for me.

At the ATT store, they wanted me as a customer, and recommended the Iphone. The talk on the phone and still be on the internet at the same time is a plus. The $45 data plan applies to either or the hotspot. You have a total of 4GB to share between the phone and hot spot.

My opinion. Since I have a air card, use between 2-2.5GB monthly now, and would use the phone as my only phone, the services and pricing of ATT are a better deal for me. Plus the unused minutes roll over. I have no land line.

Thanks for everyone's help. Jim

Those 4 gb from AT&T will go so fast. My buddy uses 2 gb really quick and he doesn't even use hotspot. It's all rediculouse.