What's new

Personal contact replaced with a generic one that appears to be based on FaceBook data

jmt356

Reaction score
After setting up iCloud on my iPhone and synching it with Outlook on my computer, my personal contact card was replaced with what looks like information about myself pulled from FaceBok. It contains my Facebook photo and other generic information and all of the information I previously had in the Notes section on Outlook is gone. How can I stop this from happening? Is there a way to retrieve my old contact?

In Settings - iCloud, it should be possible to edit your information. Tap the iCloud email address there. Depending on the software installed on your device, you can find Contact Information, Password & Security, ..., and at the top your photo with your name and email address. At the top right, there's Edit. You can use this to change your picture and name. To change (remove, add) email addresses, select Contact Information.

I am not referring to my personal information stored in my iCloud account. I am referring to my own personal Contact in Contacts in my iPhone. I had my own personal Contact in Contacts in Outlook that used to sync with my iPhone through iTunes, but after I added iCloud to Outlook, that personal Contact has been replaced with what appears to be information pulled from me from FaceBook.

Maybe this will help:
In your Contacts app, tap your card, scroll down to Linked Contacts. Select the account which should provide your name and picture. You should find "Use This Name For Unified Card", or "Use This Picture For Unified Card" written in blue. Select it. When you go back to your card, the information you selected should be displayed at the top.

The solution might also be in your Facebook settings which change occasionally and like to override everything else, including info it accesses on your iPhone.

It seems upon further research that the iPhone deleted my Contact and replaced it with My Card because the two have the same name. It seems that the information in My Card was taken from my FaceBook account because the photo that is used in My Card is the same as I use on my FaceBook account and I never entered that photo into my iPhone separately.
J. A.: In my Contacts App, when I tap my Card and scroll down, there is no Linked Contacts. All I see at the bottom is Send Message, Share Contact and Create Medical ID. I am using an iPhone 6, not an iPhone 6S.
bear7962: Where would I find settings in my FaceBook app that cause my Facebook details to override my Contact in the Contacts app?

It doesn't matter if it's a 6 or 6s, it's the software that matters.
If you don't find Linked Contacts, then you didn't link your other email accounts (if you use more than one email account) to your card (yet).
Which email address is displayed on your Card? If it's your FB email, then the iPhone is using the information from your FB account.

Once you do sign in to Facebook using iOS, the toggle switch to turn off Contacts/Events syncing is on the Facebook settings page,

Just toggle the switch to “off.”
It's been so long since I set up Facebook so it may be also something under settings in the Facebook app but I would start on your phone.

My Card displays my FaceBook email and Gmail email addresses, both of which are linked to FaceBook.

I went into Settings | Facebook and toggled off Calendars and Contacts. I will see if this helps.