What's new

People can't hear me when I hold my iPhone 5 with my head

monz87

Reaction score
You know sometimes when your hands aren't free and you hold your phone with your head on your shoulders, you've all done it. Everyone says i'm breaking up and its muffled and they can't hear me even the phone is right next to my mouth. Does anyone here have that problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what I mean, when you lift your shoulders up and hold the phone on your ear

You know sometimes when your hands aren't free and you hold your phone with your head on your shoulders, you've all done it. Everyone says i'm breaking up and its muffled and they can't hear me even the phone is right next to my mouth. Does anyone here have that problem?

You can always use the supplied headphones to free up your hands... you can't whine about muffled calls if you don't hold the handset correctly...

Right

Use that included white earphones that come with iphone

They work pretty good

Its also kind of rude to talk with someone and at the same time do something else unless the person you are talking to is doing the same

If i feel that person is not focused on our conversation, i hang up

Isn't that the problem with every phone when the mic is awkwardly placed?

The phone is positioned correctly, just as if I was holding it with my hands, just with my raised shoulder, it's in more or less the same position on my face with the mic where it should be. I'm talking about when i'm on the phone and for a few seconds just putting my shoes on etc or something like that, people say I can't hear you, its very muffled. Not like i'm holding the phone upside down or anything. I'm trying to determine if there is a fault with the phone. No need to give me advice about using headphones or tell me it's rude, either make a relevant comment or don't bother.

The phone is positioned correctly, just as if I was holding it with my hands, just with my raised shoulder, it's in more or less the same position on my face with the mic where it should be. I'm talking about when i'm on the phone and for a few seconds just putting my shoes on etc or something like that, people say I can't hear you, its very muffled. Not like i'm holding the phone upside down or anything. I'm trying to determine if there is a fault with the phone. No need to give me advice about using headphones or tell me it's rude, either make a relevant comment or don't bother.
is it possible your mouth is too close to the mic?

not really, its weird actually considering the phone is more or less in the same usual position, just with my head slanted onto my shoulders with the phone there. maybe someone could try it and get back to me...

I have this problem constantly. My 4 or 4s never did so I'm pretty sure its something to do with the mic on the back by the camera. It's very annoying. I wish you could disable that back mic in settings. And I don't see it as rude. I multi task all the time at work.

hmm I never thought of that, I thought that mic was just for siri and facetime etc..?

I do this. Being a mother of two small kids I am always doing something if I'm on the phone. I have yet to have an issue of sounding muffled though. Is it ONLY when you hold the phone this way? Do you have a case on your phone?

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

I have this problem constantly. My 4 or 4s never did so I'm pretty sure its something to do with the mic on the back by the camera. It's very annoying. I wish you could disable that back mic in settings. And I don't see it as rude. I multi task all the time at work.

I thought that mic was only for detecting and muffling background noises?

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

I have a bumper on mine and a 3 piece screen protector on back. No where near the noise canceling mic

OP: what gig phone is yours?