What's new

People can't understand me

cochise

Reaction score
I can't make phone calls when the phone is against my left ear. My voice comes out all muffled. When I use the right ear, or speakerphone, my voice comes out fine. I've tried going back to the company that sold me the phone, and tried the Apple store, they can't find any problem.

Maybe you can answer this: Whose hairbrained idea was it to put the front microphone on the bottom of the phone, rather than the front? Does that work for everyone else? It doesn't seem to be working for me.

If you have any advice I'd love to hear it.

Are you holding the phone in your hand or propping it up on your shoulder against your ear?

your speech must be messed up when your left ear is pressed against with the phone, and it makes the 4th and 5th planet in the Milky Way not aligned correctly as well.

I can't make phone calls when the phone is against my left ear. My voice comes out all muffled. When I use the right ear, or speakerphone, my voice comes out fine. I've tried going back to the company that sold me the phone, and tried the Apple store, they can't find any problem.

Maybe you can answer this: Whose hairbrained idea was it to put the front microphone on the bottom of the phone, rather than the front? Does that work for everyone else? It doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the microphone is on the bottom because of the size of the phone. Put it on the front and the phone has to be longer to fit it on and longer to move the microphone end further down the face where the mouth is so it doesn't get muffled in the face.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the microphone is on the bottom because of the size of the phone. Put it on the front and the phone has to be longer to fit it on and longer to move the microphone end further down the face where the mouth is so it doesn't get muffled in the face.

My wife was out of town during Thanksgiving. We bought 2 new iPhone SE phones prior to her trip. When she called me, I had a hard time understanding her because her voice kept fading in and out. When she got back we experimented with different ways to hold the phone to her face. We found that when she held the phone down more perpendicular to the ground but still against her cheek, her voice faded in and out. When she held the phone up closer to horizontal her voice came in loud and clear. The microphone is not only on the bottom of the SE, but also left of center next to the headphone jack. Consequently, it is important to hold the phone to your cheek and angled so your mouth is closer to the bottom mic. If you hold the phone to your right ear, hold the phone at a lower angle. Now, you can of course put the phone in speaker mode and your conversation will be heard clearly.
I hope this helps you.

Last edited: