What's new

One-click dial phone numbers found in comments

pedwards17

Reaction score
I am relatively new to the iPhone having ditched my BlackBerry about 2 months ago. One feature that the BlackBerry had was that it recognized phone numbers regardless of what app they were stored in and allowed me to dial the number with one click. The iPhone does that in some applications, but not all. Is there a way to tell the iPhone to allow me to dial anything formatted as a phone number?

Here's an example - I have a contact called "Restaurants" that has, in the notes field, the names and phone numbers of all of the restaurants near my office. On my BlackBerry, I could just go to that contact, browse the notes, and dial any of the phone numbers from there. I can't do that from the iPhone (yet).

Apple support was no help on this, so I'm hoping that there is someone who can answer this for me.

Paul

you could make a master contact names restaurants and then add in different numbers and give a custom Label to each phone number

after you've made the contact type in an additional number and tap the "device type" to the left of the number and choose "add custom label" and type the name of the restaurant

Thank you for the response. I agree that your approach would work, but it's kind of a workaround for the problem that I'm trying to resolve. The Restaurants contact was just an example - there are other instances where I'd like to be able to just click a phone number that is found in some kind of generic text field in any app on the iPhone. I could do it on the BlackBerry regardless of where the phone number was found.

I've received texts with a phone number and was able to tap the number and it dialed. And when I look up restaurants on urbanspoon or yelp, I can tap the number and the phone will dial it.