What's new

OK. I'm absolutely hopeless.

The phone was already unlocked when I bought it. I upgraded to ios 5. I had to for the phone to even work. All it did when I turned it on was show the itunes logo with white wire below it. So you're saying by upgrading to ios 5, I have re-locked the phone?

By upgrading the phone to iOS5 you also upgraded the phones baseband to a baseband that is not unlockable. In the future you should always do some research to make sure that the firmware you are upgrading to does not update the baseband and if it does, you must restore a custom firmware in order to preserve the baseband.

As for unlocking: I may be wrong but I dont think you can unlock a cdma phone to run on another network such as tmo which is gsm. someone correct me if i'm wrong

You are correct, but he has a GSM phone.

By upgrading the phone to iOS5 you also upgraded the phones baseband to a baseband that is not unlockable. In the future you should always do some research to make sure that the firmware you are upgrading to does not update the baseband and if it does, you must restore a custom firmware in order to preserve the baseband.

So what about the people who bought an unlocked phone from apple. What happens when they upgrade to ios 5?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what about the people who bought an unlocked phone from apple. What happens when they upgrade to ios 5?

Nothing, when the phone is factory unlocked it doesn't matter what baseband you are on. Baseband only matters for those who unlock with Ultrasn0w or Gevey

There's nothing you can do, you'll either have to use the phone on an official carrier or sell it and buy another one that is unlockable.

Moderation Notice:​ This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules

Edited by darkstar2007

Last edited by a moderator:
No use in getting mad at people on here. It's a community not a volunteer temp agency. Nobody helps foul mouthed jerks here or anywhere else. It's wise to treat others the way you want to be treated.

ok I have to ask...who was the bad launguage rant directed at?!?!?! Come on..give us a hint :)

I don't know where any of you got the idea that I was badmouthing jmills87. I'll give a de-fouled version of what I said: This is utter baloney. How is that badmouthing, or getting angry at jmills. All I'm saying is that the fact that you can't downgrade from 04.11.08 sucks. No need for a hissy fit from you all. I don't see jmills87 crying about it. He understood what I meant. Keep your beaks out! lol :p No but seriously. You all took it the wrong way. I was just showing my contempt for the situation.

Sorry if it sounded like I was giving what for to Luke. I just meant that, in general, it is not a great idea to have a word scuffle on here. It gets nobody anywhere! :)

luked89 said:
I don't know where any of you got the idea that I was badmouthing jmills87. I'll give a de-fouled version of what I said: This is utter baloney. How is that badmouthing, or getting angry at jmills. All I'm saying is that the fact that you can't downgrade from 04.11.08 sucks. No need for a hissy fit from you all. I don't see jmills87 crying about it. He understood what I meant. Keep your beaks out! lol :p No but seriously. You all took it the wrong way. I was just showing my contempt for the situation.

I wasn't saying your being rude to Jmills87. I was simply pointing out your tone/post was borderline profanity/obscene. Which is against forum rules. I understand your pain as well, just think before you post please. :)

Is it likely that someone will soon figure out a way to get around this?