What's new

No Service on iPhone 3GS

justbeachin

Reaction score
I bought an iPhone off ebay, it's Jailbroken with Cydia, but has not been unlocked. I have ATT for my service provider, but I get NO SERVICE. I do not have the iphone data plan on my service, nor do i want it.

Do I need to unlock it too, to get rid of NO SERVICE?

iPhone 3GS iOS 4.3.3 Cydia 1.1.1

Modem Firmware 05.16.02

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I just found a post that said "If you are waiting for the unlock of iPhone 3GS 05.14, 05.15 or 05.16 baseband then forget about it. In either way you MUST first upgrade to iPad baseband and then downgrade back to baseband 05.13.04. The best method to upgrade your iPhone 3GS to iPad baseband is by using Sn0wbreeze 2.5.1. Just download Sn0wbreeze 2.5.1 from here and follow this guide to upgrade your baseband to iPad baseband."

Has anyone had any experience with this?

you should upgrade to ipad baseband and try to unlcoke the iphone afterwords.
Good luck.

I never experienced that method, but I think it should work out just as describe. You have nothing to lose, so try it out. But the working iPad baseband should be 06.15.00 if i'mnot mistaking.

So here's an update.

I was prepared to restore to factory setting using 4.3.3, (was under the understanding that it would upgrade to 6.15.0, then downgrade and unlock.

1. Download iTunes 10.2.2 for Windows or Mac OS X from here
  2. Download Redsn0w 0.9.6RC16 for Windows or Mac OS X from here
  3. Download stock iOS 4.3.3 IPSW for iPhone 3GS from here.
  4. Restore stock iOS 4.3.3 IPSW to your iPhone 3GS using iTunes. To do that, hold down the SHIFT key (ALT for Mac) and hit the Restore button. Select stock iOS 4.3.3 IPSW which you downloaded in step 3 and leave the rest on iTunes.
  5. Once your iPhone 3GS has been restored to stock iOS 4.3.3 IPSW, it should be locked on 05.16.02 baseband. Launch Redsn0w 0.9.6RC16 and click on the Browse button. Select iOS 4.3.3 IPSW which you downloaded in step 3 and let Redsn0w to process the provided IPSW.
So as soon as I finished step 1, the phone rebooted with my AT&T sim in it, and then in the left hand corner it said AT&T. I made a test call and it worked fine. Checked the menu, Cydia was gone, still on baseband 5.16.02.

I do not have data/texting on my plan, just voice. Everything works fine.

The only reason I was going to jailbreak the phone was so that I did not have to pay for the dataplan. I guess I don't need to any more.

Thanks for all the help, I will check back should things change.