What's new

Iphone 3gs no service?

georgebrown88

Reaction score
Hi every1

Just after abit of help, I took a chance and bought a cheap 3GS off eBay it has a fault which is it says no service. The guy on the add said it was fine upon till he jailbroke it with snow breeze. He tried to restore it with no look. Anyone no how to fix it or what the problem may be. Thanks all

First off... are you relying on a specific Baseband for you 3GS to be Unlocked? If not... try a fresh restore via iTunes.

No don't need it unlocked to all networks it's just constantly saying no service. If the fresh restore don't work what else could it be pal

Good deal... if you're going to use the device on At&t then the restore should take care of it. Restore it as a New Device... and you'll be good to go. If for some reason that doesn't work... I'm not certain what the problem could be. Good thing is, though, the restore process won't make it any worse. :)

What's AT&T? . I'm in uk the phones on o2 network. Will do restore. If I restore it will will it be jailbreakable or will it depend on my base band?. I'm probs going update it to latest software on on iTunes. Cheers pal great help :)

LOL! At&t is a United States carrier. And your 3GS is locked to the o2 network correct? As far as Jailbreaking goes... when you restore via iTunes it will update you to 5.0.1 which can be Jailbroke w/ redsn0w. Baseband only comes into play if you're needing to Unlock your iDevice to use on a different carrier than it's locked to.

Lol. Yeh think it's locked to o2 mate. So if I want to open it to all networks then don't update to 5.0.1?. I want to open it up if possible like. But first of all need to get rid of the service thing so I will do the fresh restore and see how it goes cheers mate

Wait just a minute before updating..... if you're wanting to Unlock your 3GS to be used on a different GSM carrier you need to be cautious while doing so. Your Baseband will need to be preserved in order to update and retain the ability to unlock your iDevice.

Last edited:
Ok mate I'm bot going to be doing anything till tomorrow dinner anyway pal

I have re store the phone on iTunes and now I'm stuck on the recovery mode when I plug it in to iTunes it dose pick up the phone but after a few mins it says no sim card in phone to activate. The guy who I bought it off used snow breeze to jb/unlock it was only after the unlock it shows no sim??? Any1 no how I fix this? Cheers

You had the same problem as me, when i got an 3gs off ebay, basically you need to get ur money back because when i took it into apple store they told me that the phone was faulty because they update os directly from the phone so it makes the sim reader go bust; the proper way is to do it over computer, but it still works with their original 3G sim, but still is worth a try going in ur apple store, but if u wann see a geek/guru u need to book a oppointment.