What's new

No Battery Usage Stats and Slow to Brighten

gtmac

Reaction score
There are a couple of oddities I've noticed with my iPhone 4 (owned less than a week, running 4.2.6). In reading articles about maximizing battery life I found out about the "Usage" and Standby" statistics in Settings->General->Usage. In checking mine I see no values, only dashes. Underneath that I see "Usage times will be shown after Iphone is fully charged." The thing is, I've fully charged it at least twice, waiting until the charge symbol goes away. I've also let it fully discharge once. Still no joy with the Usage and Standby stats. I had not "Reset Statistics" yet (at bottom of Usage screen) so I did that this evening. I will leave the phone on the charger overnight and see what happens tomorrow. I have my Battery Percentage set to ON.

Oddity number two. I've noticed that when I "awaken" the phone by pushing the home button, it seems more often than not that it comes at a certain brightness somewhat less than normal and then, a minute or two later it brightens up to normal. Is this standard behavior? My Brightness is set to about 55-60%.

Any ideas on these two "issues?"

One more piece of information (don't know if it is relevant or not). I do turn my phone off at night.

Reset hold the power button and the home button for about 10 sec until the apple logo appears then release both and let it reboot.

Yes do your suggested by @eddieg that process should fix that issue.

Well, after I "Reset Statistics" in Settings->General->Usage and fully charged my battery, battery statistics, Usage and Standby, started working. That is until this evening. I had values in Usage and Standby yesterday and earlier today. I had turned the phone off this afternoon and when I turned it back on a few minutes ago, the Usage and Standby now show dashes with not numbers, just like before. Apparently, just resetting statistics doesn't do the trick.

I'm ready for the reset suggested by eddieg (holding the power and home button down for 10 seconds). Exactly what does the reset do? Will it restore the phone to factory settings and undo the settings I have done?

Well, after I "Reset Statistics" in Settings->General->Usage and fully charged my battery, battery statistics, Usage and Standby, started working. That is until this evening. I had values in Usage and Standby yesterday and earlier today. I had turned the phone off this afternoon and when I turned it back on a few minutes ago, the Usage and Standby now show dashes with not numbers, just like before. Apparently, just resetting statistics doesn't do the trick.

I'm ready for the reset suggested by eddieg (holding the power and home button down for 10 seconds). Exactly what does the reset do? Will it restore the phone to factory settings and undo the settings I have done?
no no, the hard reset will not mess up anything or reset anything on your phone, it will just fix weird things which are not the way they suppose to be in your iOS, nothing will change in the phone, settings, files, apps will all be there the way they are.

no no, the hard reset will not mess up anything or reset anything on your phone, it will just fix weird things which are not the way they suppose to be in your iOS, nothing will change in the phone, settings, files, apps will all be there the way they are.

Okay, so I held the home button and the power button down until the apple logo appeared (ignoring the "slide button to power down message). I'll recharge the battery tonight and in the morning, I should get battery statistics, I'm assuming.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Okay, so I held the home button and the power button down until the apple logo appeared (ignoring the "slide button to power down message). I'll recharge the battery tonight and in the morning, I should get battery statistics, I'm assuming.

Yes you should get the stat by then, before you remove the charger cable go to the battery stat and check if it read 0 there, if not, unplug the charger and plug it again, do that until you read 0. Then you can unplug the charger cable.

One last thing. Does it matter whether or not I turn the phone off?

Yes you should get the stat by then, before you remove the charger cable go to the battery stat and check if it read 0 there, if not, unplug the charger and plug it again, do that until you read 0. Then you can unplug the charger cable.

Actually you shouldn't have to do that when you charge the phone to 100% then unplug it should reset the usage and standby stats.

For anyone up this July 4th at 7:30 AM (;)) I left the phone on while charging it last night. This morning I saw 0's in the battery stats. :)

Since I only get 1 or 2 bars at home, I usually turn my cell phone off since I don't want the battery to drain searching for a signal. I could use Airplane mode at home to access the wireless network (learned from another thread) but I really don't do that much Internet access with the iPhone (I use a laptop instead) so I figure why not save battery and just turn it off.

Not to beat a dead horse (well, maybe just a little), if the iPhone is working properly, as far as displaying battery stats is concerned, it shouldn't matter whether or not I turn the iPhone off when at home. When I turn it back on, I should see the battery stats relative to the last full charge. Bottom line, turning the phone off, on, off, on, etc. should never replace the battery statistics with dashes, if the iPhone is working properly. Correct?

Also, since operating systems can get out of whack on occasion, would it be considered normal or unusual to have to do a hard reset every once in a while (once a month, once every two or three months, ...)?

For anyone up this July 4th at 7:30 AM (;)) I left the phone on while charging it last night. This morning I saw 0's in the battery stats. :)

Since I only get 1 or 2 bars at home, I usually turn my cell phone off since I don't want the battery to drain searching for a signal. I could use Airplane mode at home to access the wireless network (learned from another thread) but I really don't do that much Internet access with the iPhone (I use a laptop instead) so I figure why not save battery and just turn it off.

Not to beat a dead horse (well, maybe just a little), if the iPhone is working properly, as far as displaying battery stats is concerned, it shouldn't matter whether or not I turn the iPhone off when at home. When I turn it back on, I should see the battery stats relative to the last full charge. Bottom line, turning the phone off, on, off, on, etc. should never replace the battery statistics with dashes, if the iPhone is working properly. Correct?
Correct

Also, since operating systems can get out of whack on occasion, would it be considered normal or unusual to have to do a hard reset every once in a while (once a month, once every two or three months, ...)?
you will perform a hard reset if you think that the phone is not responding well, it's not not necessary to do so periodically but it doesn't hurt the device if you hard resetting periodically, the hard reset is there to just auto fix files and any weird thing going on in the phone and also to completely free the ram memory. You can do that once every day, once every month, once every year, it's all up to you.