What's new

News From Japan Says Apple Planning LTE 4G iPads and iPhones for 2012

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
3733-ntt-docomo.JPG

AppleInsider has a story today based on a report from Japan’s Nikkei Business which states that Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo is currently holding talks with Apple with a view to launching an LTE-capable iPad in mid 2012, to be followed by a 4G LTE iPhone in fall 2012. According to the unconfirmed report, NTT DoCoMo executives travelled to the US in November for talks with Apple CEO Tim Cook, which are said to have revolved around Apple’s forthcoming LTE-ready iPhones and iPads. However, AppleInsider points out that the accuracy of the report is called into question by a previous report earlier in the month in the Wall Street Journal, which said that Apple’s negotiations with NTT DoCoMo had stalled, with Apple allegedly refusing to grant the Japanese carrier permission to install its own proprietary software on the new iPhones and iPads. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the latest rumour from Nikkei Business is not true, of course, as its always possible that negotiations have resumed and the original stumbling block between the two parties has been resolved. As ever, we'll just have to wait and see!

Source: AppleInsider | Apple said to be discussing 2012 launches of LTE 4G iPad, iPhone with carriers

hopefully with 4G speeds we will see much faster downloads and lifted restrictions and the comeback of unlimited data from most if not all carriers, sure we can lift the restrictions with a jb app but I cant wait to see what apple comes up with next year and I will for sure be pre ordering it.. maybe even siri will be working properly lol

That is good news, but for us that purchased the 4s, are we stuck in 3G? I read that the phone does have both CDMA and GSM antennas. Since LTE is built off of GSM, do you think it's possible we can convert to 4g LTE on the 4s when it's ready for iPhone?