What's new

Newbie with a query...

noddy

Reaction score
Hi all. I've found this forum via the iPad forums.
My question is... Does anyone know why Wifi in personal hotspot isn't available on the 3GS and only works on iPhone 4?

I just changed my phones data plan to 1Gb/month so i could tether my ipad, and the hotspot was activated by 02 & included in the package. I was disappointed to see that I could only tether using Bluetooth and USB. Yet before I activated it, it clearly stated in Settings that hotspot would allow wifi, Bluetooth or USB.

As a result, I've now downloaded PDAnet and I use the wifi happily now. That would suggest that the phone is capable of doing it, so why didn't Apple allow it? Seems like they're trying to get rid of 3GS support, which is odd as they're still selling them here in the uk.

Well it's working for you so that's the important, you can also get mywi from cydia to hotspot your phone and wirelessly provide Internet to your iPad right from your phone. Why apple remove the wifi capabilities? I don't know and don't think that the issue is related with apple but instead with your carrier, but I'm not sure of any reason anyway. The point is that there are way to get it to work :)

Wifi personal hotspot is available on the 3GS. I've used it many times to tether to the iPod touch.

Do you have your wifi turned on...?

Yes it's turned on.
I've read many reports on different forums that this doesn't work on 3GS handsets. Not sure why this is. I doubt it's the carrier as I've asked 02 and they say it's nothing to do with them.

Oh well- Apples loss, Cydia's gain!

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think it's was related to the wifi chip itself. Of course you can do it using cydia apps, but i've seen reports that the battery is going down fast when using hotspot on a 3GS (via pdanet or miwi)...

Anyway, I do tether via bluetooth, and find it acceptable for almost all usage. Of course, if you want to download a large app or stream a movie, it may be a little slow...

VicoPhone Addict!